Only my 3rd smoke on 18.5 WSM - Pork Butt

Scott Jeff

Had the in laws coming into town yesterday evening to help watch our 3 month old daughter, so figured I'd throw on a pork butt and see how it would come out.

For my smoke I followed the Franklin BBQ method for his pork butt. I went to the local Kroger and picked up a 10lb pork butt.

For the rub, I used exactly what Franklin uses: Pepper, Salt (I used sea salt), paprika for color, onion powder, and garlic powder. I put it in a shaker.

92307103.jpg

I then put a little bit of olive oil on the pork butt, and spread it around before putting the rub on.
This is right before putting on the smoker.

42175350.jpg

For the smoker, I had it started with the minion method, and put about 5 good size chunks of Oak on the charcoal. I did not use any water, but instead foiled the water bowl. It got up to about 250, not the 275 I wanted, but I went ahead and put it on the smoker.

I left it on the smoker for 5 hours and it was always around 250-275. Mostly at around 275. It did spike once at the end up to about 300, but I was able to get it back down pretty quickly. I sprayed it only once at about the 4 hour mark. I used a mixture of Apple Cider Vinegar with a little Louisiana Hot Sauce.
After 5 hours it was time to wrap with two layers of foil. I also sprayed it again quite a bit with the Apple Cider mixture.
90200604.jpg

I put it back on the smoker for an additional 3 hours. I took it off after 3 hours, and opened the foil to check it out, there were juices everywher and it was falling apart. I wrapped it back up in the foil and took it inside to let it rest for about 35 minutes.

24530878.jpg

After the rest it was time to pull it apart. First I went to pull the bone out, and it came out like I was pulling it out of butter, a perfect bone. The meat was falling apart and smelled so good.
74321672.jpg

My father in law, who is a bbq king, especially with brisket was really impressed. The wife loved it as well saying it was the best thing I've done yet.

Looking forward to doing another one.

Back