One Touch Platinum vs Performer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael L.

TVWBB Fan
I hope I'm not over posting here. I DID do a search for this topic and didn't find anything.

Basically... I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a "real" bbq in month or so. For the last few months I had been convinced on the new One Touch Platinum . It has basically everything that the Performer does except the gas assist and the charcoal bin.

But then I was at the store today and started looking at the Performer and it got me thinking. $250 was starting to reach my limits as it is (for the platinum). Another $80.00 for the gas assist... I don't know.

I'm a charcoal enthusiast. So part of me says using a gas assist sort of bends the rules a little. But I could probably live with myself after a few easy pushes of that assist button.
icon_smile.gif

Then again... $80.00 would buy a lot of those starter brick things.

I also like the idea of the platinum because I haven't seen them anywhere. Including this Weber Forum. So I kinda like the unique factor. But the performer really is the endzone of all Weber BBQ's isn't it? I mean... it doesn't get much better does it? Other than size at least. And 22.5" is plenty for me.

I know they'll both cook the same... I'm just curious. What are you thoughts?

41r2C1gMQWL.jpg

0007792400220_500X500.jpg

Buy a Performer. You will not regret it at all. The gas assist makes charcoal lighting so easy, it is child's play.

Get it in Brick Red - because years from now us collectors will pay a premium to get the rare color!

My thoughts Michael,
I've never regretted getting my Performer, but I did find one on CL for $125.
The gas assist has spoiled me, and the one piece, large table is hard to beat.

Not sure which a Kingsford you have.
Is it the big black egg shape with side tables?
If so, and you like the style, then you probably would be happy with the Platinum as well.

Good luck choosing, and please post a picture of your choice!

I thought really hard about getting a platinum a while back. It looks really cool and I could have gotten a cool color. At the end of the day, I did not do it because the gas assist and because I determined the table on the performer was more functional than the two side tables. I should couldn't see myself easily seperating a full packer (or even wrapping it in foil) on those side tables.

I think if you are going to be doing most of your prep inside and if you aren't going to need the table or care about the starter, the Platinum looks great.

Function beat out form for me this time.

Justin..

It's interesting that you mention function over form. I considered the tables as well, and did the same calculation about table space and usability and determined that (as far as tables go) the Performer wins that debate. But I do most of my prep inside the house. Or on those really hot days when everyone is outside, I have a fold out 6X3 table that use. I mostly use the table for holding my beer, my seasonings, or basting brush/bowl.

The function thing that has me worried (and I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this) is the side lifting of the hood on the Performer. My first instinct is that it would become very annoying pretty quickly.

The side storage of the lid for the Performer is fantastic. It'll get rid of that nasty habit of putting the lid on the table. (Did I mention I'm a Performer owner and a former OTP owner?). I haven't measured the size of the current OTP tables, but they look pretty dinky compared to the Performer.

BTW, the Weber chimney with the Performer gas assist is da bomb. I can get a charcoal cooking fire going almost as quickly as you can with a gasser.

My suggestion. Go over to Home Depot and play with the display model. Leave the wallet at home or you'll be coming home with a Performer. And if the $80 is the issue, have some patience and look for a CL score.

Did I say I like my Performer?

The Platinum has a lid storage. It has one in the back so you just lift the lid straight up. It also has a front facing handle much like a barrel grill.
14_Weber%20One-Touch%20Platinum%20Charcoal%20Grill_big0.jpg

Originally posted by Michael L.:
The Platinum has a lid storage. It has one in the back so you just lift the lid straight up. It also has a front facing handle much like a barrel grill.
It's best feature, as far as I'm concerned. I set up my modded kettle to that very same thing.

I totally agree with Mac. This is a great feature. To answer your question from earlier, the side lid holder on the Performer bothers me but not because it's on the side but because it's not completely out of the way. I actually looked at this very issue on the platinum and determined that the Platinum actually has the same problem but at least the lid is back instead of on the left so the angle feels like you have more room even though it's about the same. (As an aside, one of the nice things about the 26.75 kettle lid holder is when that lid is up that sucker is much more out of the way than it is with either of the grills we are talking about here.)

Personally, I got used to the lid on the Performer and don't even think about it anymore until something like this reminds me. I don't think it would be a big issue unless you are left handed. If I was left-handed, I would definitely go with the Platinum.

Here is one more thing that you might not think about just by looking. The handle on the lid is on the front instead of on top. As cool and convenient as that is for using the grill normally, not having a handle on top seemed like it could be problematic when I was using my rotisserie or Cajun bandit and needed to take the lid off completely instead of just rolling it back into the "open" position.

That was another reason I decided to stay with my Performer. Like I said though, I think the Platinum is cool and would love to see pictures if you decide to get it.

Michael i am not a fan of the new table the otp has, looks flimsy and really no space in all honestly.
Has a 26.75 even crossed your mind, same or lower price than the performer, gd size for smoking and grilling, u can actually smoke and grill at the same time.

Justin thanks for the thoughts... I hadn't thought of that about the rotisserie attachment. That's a good point.

And Noe.. I hadn't even considered the 26.75 before. Now I might be right back to the drawing board again!!!
icon_smile.gif

The only time that the Performer's lid bothers me is when I'm trying to get a good picture of my cook, and it casts a shadow on part of the subject matter.
icon_smile.gif

Good point about using a roti on the OTP Justin, never thought about that at all.
Guess Weber didn't either or they would have put a handle on top too.

Originally posted by Noe:
Has a 26.75 even crossed your mind, same or lower price than the performer, gd size for smoking and grilling, u can actually smoke and grill at the same time.

I love my 26.75" kettle, but if I had to choose between the performer and the platinum, I'd go with the bigger table and gas assist of the performer.

Originally posted by Miguel M:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Noe:

I love my 26.75" kettle, but if I had to choose between the performer and the platinum, I'd go with the bigger table and gas assist of the performer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with this. In fact, if my performer wasn't right next to my 26.75 (providing table space), it would probably effect how much I enjoy my 26.75. I'm sure I'd find an alternative solution, but it's nice that the Performer table is there to serve both grills.

I say get the Performer because it is more functional... has 4 wheels - you could ride it around the block sometimes.

Just kidding. I think the Performer is the better choice because of the worktable/space. Also because I have one and can't wait to get to using it! (it is currently being lovingly restored).

Like others, the left slide lid annoyed me at first on the Performer. Now I do not even notice it. I love my performer and if I could only have 1 grill, it would be it.

I was looking at the Platinum in Ace the other day, and I think I like my 1 larger table much more than 2 smaller ones.

Pulled the trigger on a Performer just 1-year ago and have never looked back.

I recommend the Performer, its a long proven design.

Love the Performer, like the package. I wish they made it in a 26.75 model and/or had the ablitity to raise/lower either the charcoal or food grate. Then it would be perfect. I think the table is more useful. The lid storage needs to be where it is IMHO so I can use the rotiss (as mentioned above). The charcoal lighter feature is handy even if I'm just using the WSM. I use it all the time for lighting coal for it.

Like the shelf underneath and I like the basket. I use it less now for coal than I do for tools and bags of wood chips, chunks.

I purchased the performer a year ago and It really lives up to it's name. In one word, Convenience. It takes messy Charcoal on your deck to an afterthought. Easy to light, Easy to clean up afterward and great storage. The big table is a must and this unit has contributed to matromonial harmony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back