One Touch Platinum Help

I have my eyes open for an unmolested One Touch. Ultimately want to surface mount it.

Is that a Jeep TJ in the background?
That one was actually the first One Touch Platinum I've seen as I was really looking for a Performer, but when they marked it down to $120 and it was only 20 minutes from home I got it. I actually like it a lot now that I have it and will probably keep it for a long time.

Yes, that's my 2005 TJ RUBICON in the background, good eye.

That one was actually the first One Touch Platinum I've seen as I was really looking for a Performer, but when they marked it down to $120 and it was only 20 minutes from home I got it. I actually like it a lot now that I have it and will probably keep it for a long time.

Yes, that's my 2005 TJ RUBICON in the background, good eye.

How is the lid handle? Is it melted? I've seen a few with damaged handles and am curious if this is common. Easy enough to replace.

I am looking for another Wrangler. Had four JKs and now that you see four or five of them at every traffic light I am on a search for a clean TJ. 2004 - 2006. Hard to find in the NE without a ton of rust and if clean they are crazy expensive. Gotta be patient.

Here is one I refurbish and sold last year for $120

Attachments

• 20200819_023600.jpg
    20200819_023600.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200819_023538.jpg
    20200819_023538.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 12

Attachments

• 20200814_101955.jpg
    20200814_101955.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200814_101442.jpg
    20200814_101442.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200814_101326.jpg
    20200814_101326.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200814_101812.jpg
    20200814_101812.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 10
The bottom edge of the handle is a little melted, I'm guessing from running at high heat and leaving the lid up for extended amount of time. It is kind of a design flaw if you will, but could be avoided if you are careful. If the lid tipped back further like on the newer Performers, I don't think it would be a problem. I am picky about my things and did notice the handle before I bought it, but it's not bad enough that I am going to replace it, I'll just try to be a little more careful not to make it any worse. Again I do have to keep telling myself that these are tools and are meant to be used..:oops::rolleyes::p

I had 2 JKU RUBICONS myself over the last few years, but when I didn't really need 4 doors any more I couldn't wait to go back to the TJ's. I had a couple of 2000's recently but was always looking for a TJ RUBICON. Being right in the center of the rust belt myself I know all about the rust issues. Both of the 2000's I had were pretty nice with minimal amount of rust. I found this 05 RUBICON about a year and a half ago when the previous owners moved back to Indiana from Arizona and brought this TJ with them and sold it to me. It was bought new out there and spent it's whole life out there until I bought it. It is absolutely 100% rust free, all the bolts even still have the zinc plating on them, It really is the cleanest one I personally have seen. So yeah, I did pay a little more for it than most so called rust free ones I see around here.
Around January I decided this would be my keeper Jeep, so I started on the mod I have wanted to do to a Wrangler for a while now... Put a HEMI in it. I found a nice low mile 05 RAM truck HEMI and transmission, freshened up the engine, started to pull the 4.0L ........... then, this covid crap hit and I got layed off for almost 3 months and put this swap on hold for a while. I'm back to work and hoping to get back on this project and get it done before winter. Time will tell ........ WEIRD times right now..
Good luck in your search, the nice ones are out there you just have to be patient and be willing to spend a little more, but it's worth it in the end.

At some point you should think about replacing the plastic handle with a nice wooden one. River City Woodworks makes nice ones

How is the lid handle? Is it melted? I've seen a few with damaged handles and am curious if this is common. Easy enough to replace.

I am looking for another Wrangler. Had four JKs and now that you see four or five of them at every traffic light I am on a search for a clean TJ. 2004 - 2006. Hard to find in the NE without a ton of rust and if clean they are crazy expensive. Gotta be patient.

The bottom edge of the handle is a little melted, I'm guessing from running at high heat and leaving the lid up for extended amount of time. It is kind of a design flaw if you will, but could be avoided if you are careful. If the lid tipped back further like on the newer Performers, I don't think it would be a problem. I am picky about my things and did notice the handle before I bought it, but it's not bad enough that I am going to replace it, I'll just try to be a little more careful not to make it any worse. Again I do have to keep telling myself that these are tools and are meant to be used..:oops::rolleyes::p

I had 2 JKU RUBICONS myself over the last few years, but when I didn't really need 4 doors any more I couldn't wait to go back to the TJ's. I had a couple of 2000's recently but was always looking for a TJ RUBICON. Being right in the center of the rust belt myself I know all about the rust issues. Both of the 2000's I had were pretty nice with minimal amount of rust. I found this 05 RUBICON about a year and a half ago when the previous owners moved back to Indiana from Arizona and brought this TJ with them and sold it to me. It was bought new out there and spent it's whole life out there until I bought it. It is absolutely 100% rust free, all the bolts even still have the zinc plating on them, It really is the cleanest one I personally have seen. So yeah, I did pay a little more for it than most so called rust free ones I see around here.
Around January I decided this would be my keeper Jeep, so I started on the mod I have wanted to do to a Wrangler for a while now... Put a HEMI in it. I found a nice low mile 05 RAM truck HEMI and transmission, freshened up the engine, started to pull the 4.0L ........... then, this covid crap hit and I got layed off for almost 3 months and put this swap on hold for a while. I'm back to work and hoping to get back on this project and get it done before winter. Time will tell ........ WEIRD times right now..
Good luck in your search, the nice ones are out there you just have to be patient and be willing to spend a little more, but it's worth it in the end.

Never went to a JKU.. always had two doors. We have a few cars and the JK was my daily driver. Six speed too, which my wife can't drive. The 2010 JK was loaded to the gills in overland style (including a bumper mount for a Magma gas grill! of course). It was a shame to get rid of it, but at the time it wasn't the right image for business. I bought a WJ with the intentions of lightly modding that but never got around to it.

A hemi is nice upgrade. Good luck with that project. My days of 'big hp' are long gone..

Most if not all of my off-road is on barrier beach of Long Island. I live a hundred feet from the open water so salt is a big problem. It almost makes sense to buy a rust bucket and replace it every few years because there is nothing you can do to stop the rust.

OK,
As I said I would follow up on this adventure if it progressed... It did...
So yesterday I decided to go ahead and purchase the One Touch Platinum since I wasn't having any luck finding a Performer close by or that wasn't sold before I could get to it. Its in really nice shape hasn't had a lot of cooks on it, the grate is more discolored than rusty, but it was pretty dirty (don't know that they ever dumped the ashes out). I haven't had any time to do anything but give it a quick clean out and spit bath. I think I'm going to really like it and the tables are actually bigger than I thought they would be, and although not an issue for me because I have plenty of room, the tables are fixed and don't fold down. It seems to have a really sturdy solid base/cart. So anyway, it's at the house now waiting to get hot.

Couple of gratuitous pictures.
View attachment 11828View attachment 11829

So, here is where the plot takes an unexpected turn...
I picked the One Touch Platinum up around 9:00am yesterday morning after work (I work midnight shift) about 30 minutes south of my house, got it unloaded and went to bed.
Wake up about 5:00pm take a look on Market place and low and behold posted just 2 minutes earlier is a Copper Performer Deluxe.....what the $#@&.... Contacted the guy, was first responder, told him I'd take it, made the 30 minute drive north to his house and picked it up by 8:00pm before work..

So, at 8:00am yesterday morning I had no kettles, but by 8:00pm I had 2 sitting at home...
The universe is certainly strange...

And now more gratuitous pictures...

View attachment 11830View attachment 11831
lol, that is exactly how it works!!

A new gas fired gold performer with a cover was $450 2 years ago at Christmas, bought the son and family 1. I bet it lasts 20 years so the next 1 will be on him lol
Last January I bought a excellent assembled Weber Performer Deluxe at a Costa Rican Authorized Dealer for $550 out-the-door. I also bought the Weber Brand cover off Amazon.com for $30.

Back