One Touch Platinum Help

Daubie

TVWBB Member
Hi All,
Open to input from all you experts on the Kettle grills. I seen one of these One Touch Platinum grills for sale local and in good condition. So since they aren't made any longer, didn't know if they had problems or just didn't sell well. I happen to like the stand and dual tables.
So any opinions and input is welcome.
Thanks in advance for your help. Screenshot_20200805-200247.png

Nothing wrong with that style. I think they are great. Love the side tables. I also really like how the vent is in the dead center of the lid. With this model you kind of slide the lid backwards rather than lifting it up.

Also, depending on how good of a deal you are getting this grill for...if you buy it and don't like it very much, you can always clean it up and sell it, maybe even make a little money on it.

Last edited:
I do not have one myself. I think they would be fine for general grilling, but one major criticism is the top vent placement. I know that it probably wouldn't work as well for vortex wings, because I have read that the Ranch has the same problem. I believe it (along with the Ranch) has a centered vent. Even if it wasn't the side tables could make it a little difficult to get it into a lid bail from the front without a front handle. Personally, if you like it buy one and if you need to be able to move your top vent surely you have a spare Weber lid sitting around that could serve as a temporary replacement lid. Just be careful when setting the lid down when you check food.

BTW if the one you are talking about is brick red, clean, and at a good price I would be more likely to move on it. The brick red not only looks nicer, but is a little harder to come by.

Thanks for the input.
I really think I would rather have one with the larger single side table, (I think those are the Performer models) the more I've thought about it.
This one does look really clean and nice, but I think it might be a little high on the price at $120.00, or maybe not..?? It is the standard "Black" color, so not much fun in that respect either..:):)
Thanks again, I'll follow up later if I happen to get it..

As for prices in the above Platinum I commonly see them in the $100 to $150 range. They only seem to move quickly in that range if they are the Brick Red or just exceptionally clean. When they get in the $75 or below area they sell quickly. You can buy a used Performer cart in the $150 to $200 range with them being in pretty good shape almost any day of the week as long as you are willing to drive a bit. If you want a specific color it gets a little harder. When they start getting into the $100 or less range they commonly go within minutes or are really rough. Most of the time the gas assist won't light, but usually they just need to be disassembled and cleaned out. The igniter usually gets gummed up and won't spark. Even if they won't light (rarely happens) the replacement part isn't all that bad and if you really want to be cheap it isn't necessary. I have gas assist parts ready to install on a kettle and have never gotten around to it because the chimney with lighter cubes works just fine.

If you are going to keep the kettle stationary I think you will be far happier with a Performer Cart.

Screenshot_20200810-093245.pngScreenshot_20200810-093340.png

Here's a couple of pics of the one for sale.

So, if it could be got for $100 would it be worth that, to use.?? This is for me to keep and get back into charcoal cooking, not to flip or sell. Although, I always look at down the road if I have to sell something I would like to cut my losses as much as possible.
Thanks again..

View attachment 11426View attachment 11427

Here's a couple of pics of the one for sale.

So, if it could be got for $100 would it be worth that, to use.?? This is for me to keep and get back into charcoal cooking, not to flip or sell. Although, I always look at down the road if I have to sell something I would like to cut my losses as much as possible.
Thanks again..

That's a nice little setup for $100. The charcoal baskets and 2 chimneys are nice additions. Those plastic tables can be sanded down and look like new.
You'll have to replace the main cooking grate, looks pretty rusty, but those are not expensive for a basic Weber one. Also some nice stainless steel grates you could buy that will last 20+ years.

I have one as well in red. I think apaid about $75 for it. Bought it mainly out of curiosity. I use it mainly for my vortex grilling and with a another modified lid as a pizza grill.
I like that it has the same counter height as the Performer. And the side tables are handy.
I do not recommend to use a pizza ring with that lid. The lid handle on the front above a pizza ring opening will get way too hot. It might even melt. I modified a standard lid from a scrap kettle to use it on that grill for making pizza.
And other drawback of that grill is that your arms will always be exposed to the heat when you open or close the lid since you always reach above the grill. With a regular kettle or performer which has the handle on top of the lid you are always shielded from the heat.

Last edited:
I’d love one for $100!
Stephan, you raise an extremely important heat issue! That is very good information, thanks for sharing that one!

OK,
As I said I would follow up on this adventure if it progressed... It did...
So yesterday I decided to go ahead and purchase the One Touch Platinum since I wasn't having any luck finding a Performer close by or that wasn't sold before I could get to it. Its in really nice shape hasn't had a lot of cooks on it, the grate is more discolored than rusty, but it was pretty dirty (don't know that they ever dumped the ashes out). I haven't had any time to do anything but give it a quick clean out and spit bath. I think I'm going to really like it and the tables are actually bigger than I thought they would be, and although not an issue for me because I have plenty of room, the tables are fixed and don't fold down. It seems to have a really sturdy solid base/cart. So anyway, it's at the house now waiting to get hot.

Couple of gratuitous pictures.
IMG_20200812_105058252_HDR.jpgIMG_20200812_105110295_HDR.jpg

So, here is where the plot takes an unexpected turn...
I picked the One Touch Platinum up around 9:00am yesterday morning after work (I work midnight shift) about 30 minutes south of my house, got it unloaded and went to bed.
Wake up about 5:00pm take a look on Market place and low and behold posted just 2 minutes earlier is a Copper Performer Deluxe.....what the $#@&.... Contacted the guy, was first responder, told him I'd take it, made the 30 minute drive north to his house and picked it up by 8:00pm before work..

So, at 8:00am yesterday morning I had no kettles, but by 8:00pm I had 2 sitting at home...
The universe is certainly strange...

And now more gratuitous pictures...

IMG_20200813_110456784_HDR.jpgIMG_20200813_110509333_HDR.jpg

Haha, that's how it happens. I remember when I first started buying kettles this year, I was on my way to buy a brand new in box black Performer that did not have the gas assist. As I was getting in my car to leave to go pick it up I check Marketplace and a used Crimson Performer with the gas starter popped up for the same price. I jumped on the crimson one. Since then I've bought/sold probably 30 grills and have built a nice collection and kept the stuff I liked and cleaned/sold the stuff I didn't really need/want. It's pretty cool getting to try out a grill for a while, then sell if if you don't really like it.

The two grills you have are really nice for your first two.

Thanks Kyle,
They are my first 2 coal burners, but I have refurbished a couple of LP models and have one more about half done now.
I've got a 1996 Genesis 1000 red head was my first, and my keeper. Then I redid a Silver-A with a blue lid, thought I would keep it also, but a friend talked me out of it for his daughter. And I still have a Silver-B with the fold up shelves on both sides, it came with a black? (actually looks gray) lid, but I have a dark red/burgandy lid that I might put on it when I get it done..

Of course a few pictures..
View attachment 11833IMG_20200725_111444482_HDR.jpgIMG_20200724_202552463.jpgIMG_20200724_182402669.jpgIMG_20200610_200811959_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200725_122824263_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200725_122824263_HDR.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 1
I love those copper performers and had my sites set on one but then a new in box black one came available right near me and couldn’t pass it up. I’m on my second performer now. Those LP Genesis grills look great. I’d like to get a blue one like that.

Thanks for all the reply's and nice comments..!!

Now.... I just have to relearn how to cook old-school charcoal again...😁🤪

Just a little more eye candy, now that its in it's forever home..
IMG_20200814_210423090.jpgIMG_20200814_210336718.jpgIMG_20200814_210819095.jpgIMG_20200814_211550787.jpg

I'll get some more of the One Touch Platinum after I find a place on the deck for it to live.

Just curious,

How much was the used performer? Looks almost new. Nice deck. The copper matches the color perfectly.

I have my eyes open for an unmolested One Touch. Ultimately want to surface mount it.

Is that a Jeep TJ in the background?

Last edited:
Just curious,

How much was the used performer? Looks almost new. Nice deck. The copper matches the color perfectly.

It was $200. That is a good price in my area, they don't last long at that price if they are in nice shape. Most of them are priced at $250-$350. This one is nearly perfect with very little use other than a chip on the hood about the size of a nickle. That doesn't really bother me too much because I got it to use, would be nice if it wasn't there, but I wasn't going to pass on it for that price.

Thank you, I hadn't really thought about the color match till I got it home and set it up. I really like the copper color more than I thought I would.

It was $200. That is a good price in my area, they don't last long at that price if they are in nice shape. Most of them are priced at $250-$350. This one is nearly perfect with very little use other than a chip on the hood about the size of a nickle. That doesn't really bother me too much because I got it to use, would be nice if it wasn't there, but I wasn't going to pass on it for that price.

Thank you, I hadn't really thought about the color match till I got it home and set it up. I really like the copper color more than I thought I would.
$200 is not a bad price at all for a newer Performer, especially a colored one.

Back