One Bad, One Good and One Staple

Glenn Baumgarth

TVWBB Member
Happy 4th everyone and a special thanks to all that served this great country!!

Friends coming over so did a brisket (flat only), a couple of tri-tips and some ABTs.

Started this morning with the brisket flat from Costco that was rubbed last night with pepper, garlic, seasoned salt, kosher salt, paprika, chili powder and a little bit of cayenne.

Warning!! This is the "One Bad". It was my first brisket so there is much room for improvement.

Used the HH method with some hickory and apple.

Temp on the lid was already at 140 just from sitting on the pavers!

Left on at 350 for 2.5 hours and then in an aluminum pan covered in foil for another 2.5 hours. Turned out mighty dry off the smoker and actually gained a little juice after foiled and wrapped in towels in the cooler for 3 hours. Still looked very dry and tasted much the same. Was bearable to eat after adding some Pappy's Sweet Baby Jane sauce. Like I said...it can only get better from here.

Now the staple! Some ABT's went on while the brisket was in the cooler. On the left with jalapenos and beef little smokies. On the right with yellow chili peppers and turkey little smokies for those not down with the hot of the jalapeno.

Finished off with some Pappy's Sweet Baby Jane sauce. Turned out great!!

Now the good...actually great! First time with tri-tip. Kept it simple with soy sauce, pepper, garlic and onion powder.

On the 26.5 indirect with some hickory chunks. Temp was about 400 at the lid. Some Budweiser 4th of July bottles for this St. Louis native. About 20 minutes per side with the indirect.

This wasn't in the meat...just sitting on the table in direct sunlight.

These guys didn't care...they just wanted someone to throw a ball for them.

These guys just wanted to keep swimming.

5 minutes over direct heat to finish them off.

Tip #1

Tip#2

Your plate of protein. Didn't have time for anything else with the swimming and other 4th activities. Had some veggies and some chips and salsa to go along.

Thanks for looking. Once again...Happy 4th to all.

Don't have time tonight to post on all the great threads. Everything looks great and still making me hungry even with a full belly. Great job guys!!!

Great looking tri tip, wish I could buy that cut. 5 hrs is pretty long for a HH flat. Try 2 and 2 next time but check for tender about the 1.5 mark after foiling. It actually doesn't look too overdone in the pic, just a little crumbly.

Thanks guys. In hindsight last night, I think what I did was apply the HH method to what I had (just a flat) instead of what it was intended for (a whole packer). I should have adjusted my times to accommodate for just the flat I was cooking. I'm thinking a therm is going to be my next purchase.

That's a shame the brisket turned out dry. Everything looks so good. I think your time adjust plan is a good one. Tri Tip is a big hit around here as well for the very reason yours turned out so well.

Tri tip and ABTs look great. I have never just cooked a flat so I have no words of wisdom to add.

I have never cooked a brisket yet myself but everything else looked great. How long did you keep the beer on indirect? Did you foil it or no?

Beer was only on for as long as it took to take the pic...no foil. After the pic it made it's way to the pool for consumption purposes.

You had me here............
IMG_20130704_184758_679_zpsbae00915.jpg

Back