On clearance already?

Same here. $237 only 5 miles away. Thanks, but no thanks. I still prefer my old one which is way more versatile.

If you have a chance to get the Spirit at the clearance price then get it and flip it. You may have to wait till after grilling season though (or when the sale ends) and you could probably double your money. Target has a 90 day return policy so if you can't sell it to make a profit before the 90 days are up then just return it for a full refund...nothing to lose but a lot more to gain.

So now I'm curious...who loses money when these grills are on clearance...the store or Weber? And since they can sell it at this low of a price I wonder how much it actually costs to make one. Do you think they (the store and/or Weber) are still making money when they sell their grill for rock bottom prices?

You are absolutely correct. It's not me who does not have a Dave and James. Weber used to be a "fair trade" product. Retailers were not allowed to sell them at a discount other than one sanctioned by father Weber or they would lose the right to sell them. Now it seems all bets are off

Yes, they are "price fixed" and retailers can't advertise or sell for less without permission, but, that doesn't apply to store clearance pricing it would seem. It's nothing new. Has been going on for years at Target, Walmart, Home Depot, etc.

Here's a post from back in 2010 where a member talked about getting a Spirit on clearance at Target.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?994-Weber-discount-question&p=159319&viewfull=1#post159319

I'd add that at the time of that post, Weber-Stephens was still wholly family owned.

Last edited:
Up here in the Great White North, the Genesis II E-610 grills (both LP & NG, I think) were being cleared out at Home Depot for 60% off list price. That's C$639!!

Just saw a Weber 22" premium kettle floor model at target in Palatine, IL for $45. Perfect condition and looked like everything was there Weber's hometown no less. I was very tempted to flip it, but purchased a Blackstone table top gas griddle for $29 instead

Basically with Weber they have a "Minimum Advertised Price" or "MAP". So for a dealer to advertise a price it must be the MAP price or above that. As far as in house pricing goes, a dealer is free to price the products at whatever price they want. So while these grills are on clearance, it does not violate the MAP policy because they aren't advertising them anywhere. As far as who loses out, it is definitely the dealer. Weber keeps their pricing the same for basically the duration of the model. Even when they lower the MAP price of a grill, as was the case last year with the Spirit's and in 2016 with the Genesis, they still charge the dealers the same price.

Back