OMG...should I?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2372265749503497/

Ok guys, what do you think? Good find or bad headache?

It is both! An amazing find that I doubt I could walk away from. However, you are almost certainly looking at a long and winding road to get that thing fully functional. Some Summit parts probably will work, but for some things you will be looking at custom fabrication.

I think many of us would consider this the ultimate “Weber” if not the ultimate grill. Just do it, Sam! I wrote that before I saw what JKim said, too! Great minds run in the same track;)!

Last edited:
And just like that it's gone....2 hours too late. Oh well, I'm hoping some member on this board got it and will post pics of the rehabbed grill. It was kind of far for me though (about an hour each way) and I was looking for replacement parts online and they're hard to come by (mostly discontinued) plus that thing must weigh a ton and I don't think my wife would have been able to help me lift that on to the truck.

Yah, I would probably even have to jump on it. If it is indeed only $1, then bottom line is you have a parts grill for basically free. All you would have to do is sell one part off it to make a profit and I imagine you could get some pretty good money for some of the parts. Then again, it didn't look like it was in that bad of condition and maybe a few bucks along with time and elbow grease and you might have a real gem there.

Yah, if I were to have gotten it then it'd be one that I would restore and keep and sell off my other 2 Platinums (ok, maybe keep one of them) but maybe it's for the better that I didn't get it because it probably would have just sat in the backyard until I found the time to deal with it and with finding time like that nowadays is really hard to come by.

Yes, I believe it's made from 304 grade SS. It better be because the retail price was 6-8k back then!

I wonder if a guy could adapt that to a Genesis cookbox and manifold. Then it would really be a find.

Wow. I need to post a Vieluxe repair thread. I picked up one a couple of years ago and it was a lot more than one dollar. Cannot get a magnet to stick on any surface, crazy heavy. Seller said the burner tubes were no longer available. Thought I was going to have to find a machine shop to make parts. Found out the burners & crossover tubes are the same as an early summit and my local grill shop had some in stock. The 6 or 7 in crossover burner piece fails and makes it hard to light the grill without a boom, since the igniter only lights one side of the burner tube and the flame has to travel around. You cannot get a match or lighter to manually light all 4 burner tubes, so both igniters and both crossover pipes need to function.

The main burner tubes are really thick pipes, use as a hammer or personal defense weapon. Doubt they would fail, compared to a genesis 1000 like 2x or 3x thicker. So you buy two crossover pieces for 8 each and you have a working grill. The flavorizer bars are a common dimension shared with others. with a c channel welded on. Weber provides zero support for these grills and just says parts are no longer available.

Yah Jeff, that's what I was afraid of. The availability of parts and the support for the Vieluxe grill are pretty much NA. And of course fabricating parts for the grill would take time and money and I don't really have much of both.

Back