Olive oil vs canola oil as base for rib rub

Scott B (nj)

TVWBB Member
Hey there-

I'm new to smoking ribs - for some odd reason I tackled brisket as my first BBQ conquest - and I have a question.

My first batch of ribs came out great. The rub was the prefect compliment to the smokeyness and the BBQ sauce finish. I used canola oil as a base for the rub.

My next few batches have not been as successful. All I'm getting is BBQ sauce and smoke. The rub is a faint taste, if it's there at all. I also happened to switch to olive oil on these two.

The question I have is... Could olive oil be sucking the flavor out of the rub when compared to the canola oil? Literally everything else is unchanged. Based solely on that, I would surmise that it's the olive oil, but that just doesn't make sense.

Id love to get some feedback from the board on this. Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Why are you using oil in the first place? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Was wondering the same thing...

Apply the rub directly to the meat. The oil may be acting as a barrier and carrying the rub away as it drips.

And drip it will.

Nothing is needed for rub to stick. Salt in the rub will draw moisture facilitating sticking. I salt meat first, separately, wait several minutes for the salt to draw moisture, then apply whatever rub I've made (I make all without salt) over the rub. This lets me salt as much or as little as I wish and apply as much or as little rub as I want as they are independent of each other.

This is great... Thank you guys. I'd say about 75% of recipes I've encountered recommend using an oil to help the flavor penetrate deeper than the surface of the meat. I will definitely have to give a run of it w/o oil.

The more I've mulled things over, the more I realize that on my last two batches, I didn't really allow much time for the rub to work its way in. I rubbed it than hastily put it in the smoker. Perhaps this is my big mistake?

Whoever is writing that oil - any oil - will somehow facilitate rub "penetration" is not someone to listen to, quite possibly about anything at all. This notion is utterly erroneous.

Rub will not penetrate meat - unless you physically force it in between the fibers. If that's really what you are looking for then, rather than that, make an injection.

I know several people who use either mustard or canola oil on their ribs before they apply rub. Based on the what I was told, Oil is used because some herbs and spices are not water soluble, and oil is used to help release the aromatics within those herbs and spices. I've tried mustard, canola oil, olive oil, and nothing at all, and I found that canola oil gives me the best results for the rub I use. Not just for the overall flavor, but for the texture of the bark of the rib. The one time I tried olive oil, the flavor was a bit off, so I never tried it again. I suggest trying it all kinds of ways and see which you like best. The great thing about BBQ, there are so many ways to do it. Have fun and enjoy experimenting!!

While it is true that numerous flavor volatiles are fat soluble it is not necessary to coat with oil. There is sufficient fat at the meat's surface - and much more that surfaces during cooking - to handle solubility.

If one wishes to jump start flavor dissolution far better to make a paste, IMO, because the amount of oil or other fat needed is quite small. If rub flavor is insufficient get higher quality spices and herbs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Whoever is writing that oil - any oil - will somehow facilitate rub "penetration" is not someone to listen to, quite possibly about anything at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This one made me laugh out loud. The cartoon bubble above my head pictures a guy who's opinions have lost all credibility on everything from how to bait a fishing hook to the quickest way though Denver during rush hour because of his belief that oil is a key component in rub making.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry P.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Whoever is writing that oil - any oil - will somehow facilitate rub "penetration" is not someone to listen to, quite possibly about anything at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This one made me laugh out loud. The cartoon bubble above my head pictures a guy who's opinions have lost all credibility on everything from how to bait a fishing hook to the quickest way though Denver during rush hour because of his belief that oil is a key component in rub making. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, I'm a newbie and I'll give most things a try. Judging on the overwhelming response here, I'll have to put a rub on w/o the oil next time. I'll prob do one with canola and one dry next time. I'd really like to see the diff (if any) personally.

The folks here are just giving advice based on the most common methods and what works for them. I've read about guys steaming ribs over vinegar, boiling, grilling at 350, smoking at 200, smoking at 300, mustard base and on and on. So many different ways to cook ribs that I'd just say, try it and if it works for you, go with it.

I usually apply my dry rub the night before and wrap the ribs in Saran Wrap for 24 hours, then put them in my WSM 22.5. No oil.

Personally, I've never used oil but I do occasionally use yellow mustard as a primer for the rub. It works well and does not impart much flavor to the meat.

I saw a guy on an episode of Triple D cut into spare ribs in order to get the rub to penetrate. Kind of like poking holes in chicken when marinating. He was not smoking them, he was grilling and steaming, however I was curious how that would work with smoking. Anyone tried cutting into ribs and rubbing before smoking??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mitch J:
Anyone tried cutting into ribs and rubbing before smoking?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never heard of anyone cutting before smoking, but I have seen someone cut halfway through between the bones right before wrapping.

I use oil especially on pork buts. But I also use oil on ribs, or brisket, as a base, before I add the dust to it. Once I ran out of mustard, and I was lazy to go to the store, and used regular vegetable oil as a base. I never used mustard since. As a matter of fact, I think using oil as a base is better than mustard.

I admit, I did read about it on the Amazing ribs website, and Meathead is advocating using oil, instead of mustard. Here's what Meathead says about it:

"2) Rinse and thoroughly dry the meat. Oil the meat with vegetable oil, coating all surfaces. This will help the rub adhere and also help dissolve the oil soluble flavors in the rub and carry it into the meat. Some folks like to slather it with yellow mustard first. I have tried it this way and I do not think it does anything noticeable. Besides, mustard does not contain oil, so oil soluble flavors in the rub don't dissolve"

http://www.amazingribs.com/rec...ect_pulled_pork.html

Back