Older Weber Summit

Allen Sharar

TVWBB Super Fan
Are these style Summits worth getting into? I thought I'd heard parts for these were next to impossible to get. This one looks to be in pretty good shape and can get it for $100.

Attachments

• 121fce487570400c879bdc7b639565ff.jpg
    121fce487570400c879bdc7b639565ff.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 19
  • ec14906624e14dd082d957bbc1519822.jpg
    ec14906624e14dd082d957bbc1519822.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 19
In a word, sadly, no. My brother has one of them. Honestly not worth the time or $$$. Cheaply made, flimsy build quality compared to 1st gen Summit

Thank you - Isn't this a 1st gen Summit though - early 2000's? I have the Genesis equivalent to this grills vintage - which they made for many years - and the build quality seems better than the current genesis line - plus, really easy to source parts for.

That one is a "2nd generation" Summit. They are, in fact, similar in build to a Genesis Silver/Gold of that time period. I think what Larry is referring to is that this represented a pretty big drop from the 1st generation Summits that were very heavy duty but probably pricey to build as well. A LOT of heavy, real 304 stainless:

Finished and Ready.jpeg

I would personally try to stick with the "Platinum" version of that 2nd generation of Summits, since they had 304 stainless frame and cabinetry, vs. the regular steel use in the one you are looking at. The real issue, however, is the firebox which is highly prone to rust and ultimate burn-through due to the porcelain coated steel center sections. If you decide to go for it, be aware and look hard at the inside of the firebox, particularly where the burners come in. There is no cheap or easy fix for this problem.

Thanks for all the info - sounds like if it's not already a problem it will be one eventually. Don't really need it - will just stick with genesis for now and keep an eye out for a 1st gen.

The first Gen will also have the fire box problem. And it will be that much older. Weber has had the same basic design since the inception of the Summit and even with the problems encountered, has failed to address it in a meaningful way. There is a new model Summit coming out this spring and "Hopefully" that will finally be addressed. I think the rumors are that it will be.

Bruce is right about the 1st generation Summit. The Good News is that I have had stainless steel reinforcement pieces made for my Summit that are working great after one year, and I have a few I can sell to help others.

Inside front after clips and SS reinforements.jpeg

Allen, as far as I know you can still get parts for those, including the cook box (not cheap). I wouldn't discourage you from getting it if you like it. Just keep in mind that if it does need that cook box replaced it's going to be expensive. Taking a close look where the burner tubes enter the cook box will tell that tale.

Allen, as far as I know you can still get parts for those, including the cook box (not cheap). I wouldn't discourage you from getting it if you like it. Just keep in mind that if it does need that cook box replaced it's going to be expensive. Taking a close look where the burner tubes enter the cook box will tell that tale.
Isn’t the cookbox delivered around $700 from Weber and it’s shipped via freight carrier?

Isn’t the cookbox delivered around $700 from Weber and it’s shipped via freight carrier?
That may be one option. I looked around a year ago for these and they were available from a few of the sellers that I have bought parts from in the past.

That one is a "2nd generation" Summit. They are, in fact, similar in build to a Genesis Silver/Gold of that time period. I think what Larry is referring to is that this represented a pretty big drop from the 1st generation Summits that were very heavy duty but probably pricey to build as well. A LOT of heavy, real 304 stainless:

View attachment 86704

I would personally try to stick with the "Platinum" version of that 2nd generation of Summits, since they had 304 stainless frame and cabinetry, vs. the regular steel use in the one you are looking at. The real issue, however, is the firebox which is highly prone to rust and ultimate burn-through due to the porcelain coated steel center sections. If you decide to go for it, be aware and look hard at the inside of the firebox, particularly where the burners come in. There is no cheap or easy fix for this problem.
I would kind of like a pic of the inside of that grill so I could decide if it is artwork in your office or a portable kitchen. Thanks in advance for the pic.

View attachment 86704

I would kind of like a pic of the inside of that grill so I could decide if it is artwork in your office or a portable kitchen. Thanks in advance
A couple more pictures:

View attachment 87704

View attachment 87705

And as it is now with Summit fold-open grates replacing the equally good "rcplanebuyer" ones in the above pictures and proof that it really does cook now!
View attachment 87706
Thats Exceptional. I need to look up the manual to see all the features of that model.

And so I guess you use it as a marketing tool now. Bring in a client to your office. Impress them with the grill, and offer them a steak to close the deal.

Another reason work from home beats going to an office. I don’t think you could do that in an offices building because of fire marshal rules.

Did you expense the grill or depreciate it on your taxes?

Back