Older performer propane connection

Daniel Turner

I picked up a old performer today for a good deal I believe, however once I got it home and gathered my marbles I have been scratching my head as to what to for propane. Or course it don’t have the original tank with a quick connect. What do I need to do ? I’m assuming an adapter hose ? You guys are pros at this I’m sure I’m at the right place Thanks much.

I recently picked up an old Stainless Steel Performer (SSP) that had a similar issue. I bought the SSP with understanding the gas assist did not work. Luckily, it came with the original Weber Regulator but was missing the plastic connector that fastens to the propane tank.

Here is what I did to solve this. I salvaged plastic connector with brass valve assembly from an old Kenmore gas grill and replaced the Weber brass valve part that did not have the plastic connector. I used a socket wrench to unfasten old and fasten new. I sealed the new connection with plumber's tape to prevent gas leakage. See picture.

I'm keeping the old 20lb tank from the Kenmore attached behind the SSP until the tank is used up. Then I plan to purchase a proper 5lb tank to mount in the SSP so grill can be moved easier as one contained unit. BTW, I found that the original igniter still works fine. The gas assist works well for me now. I hope this helps you.

Weber SSP Connector Replacement.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure the WKC or Weber Kettle Club has an answer but I'm not a member and don't know how the search works.

You can pick up a propane tank quick connect at most welding supply houses. All new style tanks still have the female threads in the valve to attach the quick connect.

You can pick up a propane tank quick connect at most welding supply houses. All new style tanks still have the female threads in the valve to attach the quick connect.
That’s what I did for the time being. I got a few people with eyes out for a 5lb cylinder.

5lb Tanks are not all created equal. In my research, I found two styles of 5lb tank with different handle placement. One fits SSP original bracket and the other does not without modification. (Neither has the old quick connect)

5lb tanks.jpg
2 Styles of 5lbs Tank:
1. Manchester for $90-$125: The Manchester tank has one handle opposite the valve which I believe fits the original SSP bracket perfectly. Made in USA and probably originally supplied to Weber (with old Quick Connect) for the SSP. Expensive!

2. Flame King for $50-$75: The more common Flame King tank has two handles on either side with a circle hole opposite the valve which prevents it from mounting on the the original SSP bracket. My example was Made in Thailand. Significantly less expensive. But no fear, an angle grinder, a small chunk of wood and effort can fix mounting issue -- SSP Bracket can be modified to fit Flame King tank.

Last edited:
I only discovered my new Flame King didn't mount to original bracket after filling propane so there was no turning back. I had to make it work. This is what I did:

Cut top of original SSP Metal bracket with Angle Grinder. De-burred metal edges. Shaped Wood into Quarter Sphere to ease tank insertion & create tight fit. Sanded. Painted. Drank Beer. Painted again.

Metal - Wood Work SSP tank.jpg

Pic of how tank it fits inside
Mounted MOD SSP tank.jpg

Finished look of tank mounted in SSP.
Finished Solution SSP Tank.jpg

Last edited:

Back