Old Weber Genesis 2

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I took the manifold to Home Depot, and they removed the hose and the threaded adapter from it. It looks like I do need the 1/8" NPT propane line to fit in there.

That is what I did for my grill. I think I bought my adapter online. I couldn't find them local.

That adapter is a 5/16 flare in the link at menards by Larry. You need a 3/8" flare to 1/8" MIP. Then you just need a regular hose and regulator with a 3/8" on the end.

This is the hose and regulator you would need with that: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B074WNQTZ7/tvwb-20

I have six adapters. I will send you one for $5 including postage if you can't find one.

aHSoQMv.jpg

So I happen to be browsing Facebook Marketplace this morning, and I see an old Weber LP grill listed for FREE. So, of course, I went to go pick it up. Surprisingly, the serial number was still intact (L3-116154). Based on some quick research, it sounds like this is a Genesis 2, although I'm not sure of the exact year. I don't what I'm going to do with this one yet: restore it or just salvage some parts off of it. It looks like it had a rotisserie on it, so there are going to be some holes in the firebox where the motor is bolted in. Everything else seems to be in decent shape. What do you all think? Here are some pictures:
LM7KLZJ.jpg

That is too pretty not to save and restore, you've got to do it. Like Chris said, the Weber people will likely just give you a 5-10 year date range. If you look inside on either the aluminum end caps or cook box you'll likely see the date stamped on it like this:

IMG_1230.jpg

Mine doesn't have casters either and the wheels are the same. I'm going to guess yours is from the late 1980's similar to mine ('87). Congrats on your score!

photo-3.jpg

fOy

I have six adapters. I will send you one for $5 including postage if you can't find one.

That would be a huge help, Bruce. I’ll call some stores in the area and see if they have them. If not, I’ll take you up on that offer!

That is too pretty not to save and restore, you've got to do it. Like Chris said, the Weber people will likely just give you a 5-10 year date range. If you look inside on either the aluminum end caps or cook box you'll likely see the date stamped on it like this:

After seeing yours, I think you’re right. I’m going to try to restore this one. I’ll check the inside parts of it and see if I can find a date somewhere. Thanks!

Last edited:
Which hose and regulator with fit with that adapter?

DOH!!!! Slapping mu head! I clicked on the wrong link. Damn allergies Have trouble focusing with all the schmutz in my eyes at times. Follow Groce's lead he has the right link 3/8" to 1/8" NPT. Use some PTFE gas pipe dope on the 1/8" threads not tape. DO not put any sealant on the flare fitting only the NPT threads

So when swapping out gas hose / regulators, why is it better to have an adapter (3/8" to 1/8") and a 3/8" female hose line rather than just getting the hose / regulator to directly attach to the 1/8" opening? I figured that fewer adapters would be less likely to have a leak, but everyone seems to be recommending the opposite.

So when swapping out gas hose / regulators, why is it better to have an adapter (3/8" to 1/8") and a 3/8" female hose line rather than just getting the hose / regulator to directly attach to the 1/8" opening? I figured that fewer adapters would be less likely to have a leak, but everyone seems to be recommending the opposite.

My perspective is that almost every hardware store carries a replacement regulator with the 3/8" flare fitting, so it would be easier to find a replacement.

Right. It is simply to make your grill compatible with the "normal" regulator hoses. You could go with a straight 1/8".

It is actually a little more reliable connection also not to mention in a pinch just plain easier to find. Had to do just that on my dad's old 2000. Got there to do some Q for him and my uncle had to change out the tank wouldn't ya know gas would not flow, tried a tank from his neighbor still no joy in mudsville no bueno so in a fit of desperation he has a hardware store nearby I ran there. Sure enough they did not carry the old Weber style regulator. A quick look through brass gas fittings found just what I needed got the new style regulator and was able to finish the cook

Been putting some more work into this thing. I cleaned the porcelain and painted the lid end caps and firebox. I had to throw out one of the burners (see pic). Does anyone know where/if I can buy just the one I need instead of a whole burner set?
d2FgkVC.jpg

wmqKOhq.jpg

I think you have to buy a whole set, but you can find aftermarket ones online that are about $20 per set

Been putting some more work into this thing. I cleaned the porcelain and painted the lid end caps and firebox. I had to throw out one of the burners (see pic). Does anyone know where/if I can buy just the one I need instead of a whole burner set?
d2FgkVC.jpg

wmqKOhq.jpg

These things have gone up Bruce bought the Hsongo and so did I think they were like 15 bucks if I remember. These are the onlyfire no 27 bucks supply and demand I guess.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00X1UK3QC/tvwb-20

Back