Old red top: what is it and advice

Ian Hamilton

Hi, I'm a new member to this forum and am looking for some advice. First, I bought an old Weber red top off of Craigslist for $20. This is my first "vintage" weber, I also own a e-310 that is about 8 years old that works perfect. The owner said it needed a new regulator. I have attached some photos of before and after. I took it mostly apart and scrubbed and cleaned it up. I painted the firebox and sides in high temp flat black. I sanded with fine grit sandpaper the burner tubes and hosed them out and dried them. Getting the sides of the hood off was a major pain. Those "screws/bolt (10 of them)" with the "fluted" shaft just kept spinning when I turned the nuts. I had a wedge a screwdriver on the bolt to keep it from turning so I could pry off the nuts. I plan on replacing with stainless bolts for now, but would like to go more original in the near future. And I plan on refinishing the wood.

I have a few questions/advice needed:
1. Can someone tell me what it is? I think it's a 1000. The year code, IIRC, is L1. There is a sticker on the bottom of the control panel that says 1988.
2. I broke off one of the knobs trying to get it off. It was so hard on there it seemed that it was glued or something. Does anyone know where I can buy one knob for this that is the same vintage? I want to keep it looking similar to original.
3. There is no pop up side shelf. Does anyone know where I can get a frame for that side shelf cheap? I can make the wood slats for it, but just wondering if someone has an old side shelf frame.
4. Most importantly, I ordered a new regulator from Weber (7503) for it. The regulator screws directly in the manifold. However, the regulator won't screw in. It seems it must be a different thread. I would prefer not to have to buy a new manifold as I am trying to keep my costs down. Does someone have a solution for this or know of a fitting that would work?

I'm just trying to get this grill working for not a lot of money. Any advice or comments to the above, or anything at all?

Thanks so much!

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT: apparently as a new member, I can't post attachments. Anyone know when I can post the pictures?

Call weber they'll tell you. My serial starts with L1 and they told me it was a 1985. That 1988 is under some design certification number so might not be the year. Try ereplacementparts and see what they have, or post a want to buy ad on the other part of this board.

Here's the photos (thanks to FAQ for helping me, I've never done this before). First photos should be how it was when I got it. Last 4 photos should be after I cleaned it up and painted it.

BTW, that is NOT paint on the inside of the firebox, it's soot or something that was hard to scrape off. I tried to clean it up best I can (still need to clean racks, etc.) Also, one other question: Do I have the center burner tube oriented correctly? I have seen photos with burner tube holes coming out the sides (like in my photo) and other photos have holes pointing up and down on center burner tube. But most importantly, I need to get the regulator issue figured out so I can use it!

Here's what I think you have a base series 1 grill
http://www.webergrillreview.com/Genesis1_5.html

That model did not come with a flip up shelf. Also the flip up shelf is narrower than the stationary shelf. If you look at the plug on the top front left side it doesn't have the right plug for a shelf to be installed. You would also need the brackets that hold the shelf up (those are available from erplacmentparts.com) or you can but a complete kit for around $75. More bad news the brackets the hold the swing rod and the part that holds the shelf up that attach underneath the swing up shelf are not available.

Here's some pictures that may help.

DSCN2766_zpssneoebnc.jpg

DSCN2762_zpszesvrxek.jpg

DSCN2763_zpscudd5pee.jpg

DSCN2764_zpsw0iihhvl.jpg

Regulators have standard threads.
Most attach to the Acme nut that attaches to tank & is connected to manifold with a propane line.

I have the Weber regulator. On my grill (called Weber and they said it's a genesis 1 with a year of 1985-1992). My manifold does not have a fitting to attach a hose like the part listed above. Rather, the manifold is threaded to accept the hose, but my threads don't seem to match the Weber regulator hose.

Regulators have standard threads.
Most attach to the Acme nut that attaches to tank & is connected to manifold with a propane line.
I've bought this & it works fine.
Available from amazon & usually Lowes & HD

http://www.sears.com/char-broil-hos...gclid=CLS5vOr3h80CFUQ9gQodRSgEhw&gclsrc=aw.ds

When they sent me a new regulator for me 1000 I have to go to Home Depot and get an adaptor fitting. I took the old regulator and the new and they were able to supply the adaptor. Should not be a big deal at all. Good luck.

The regulator on the old series Genesis grills uses a 1/4" NPT fitting. So a standard newer style regulator and hose will not bolt up without some creative use of adapters. Have the same issue(s) on my old Genesis III (formerly a II). The good news is I honestly have never seen a regulator go bad except on a Q200 series product. Go figure

IIRC the newer style regulator has a female connector on it. The old style manifold has a (not 100% on actual size) 1/8" or 1/4" NPT "hole". So you'd need an adapter from that hole to the newer female size connector (3/8"?). I'm not real good at the size thing. I just go to my Menard's and look at the brass fittings and see what "looks right" LOL

IIRC the newer style regulator has a female connector on it. The old style manifold has a (not 100% on actual size) 1/8" or 1/4" NPT "hole". So you'd need an adapter from that hole to the newer female size connector (3/8"?). I'm not real good at the size thing. I just go to my Menard's and look at the brass fittings and see what "looks right" LOL

This is good to know. The free genesis I got has a old style regulator. I ordered a new one and will need an adapter.

I am going to pick up today the adapter I listed above and will let everyone know if it is the correct one. The Genesis 1 (I presume that is what I have, anyone know for sure what it is?) has a threaded hole as mentioned above. The Weber 7503 regulator and hose (it was the one the Weber said I needed, but that was when I thought I had a 1000) has a male threaded end. Hopefully the adapter I ordered will be the correct one so that someone can use the 7503 part with an older grill.

"Rich Dahl ....More bad news the brackets the hold the swing rod and the part that holds the shelf up that attach underneath the swing up shelf are not available."

Hey just wanted to chime in that I got those parts by calling Weber direct and they had the swing rod, the end plug and the brace that spans the two legs and the piece that attaches the swing rod to the wood.

Okay, so I was wrong. An adapter is NOT needed to attach a Genesis 1 to part 7503. I could not for the life of me get my hose to thread. I took it to Fastenal to pick up my adapter and they said I didn't need one and screwed the hose right into the manifold. I have no idea why I couldn't do it, but it threaded just fine for them. Weird. Anyway, disregard my previous adapter stuff.

Back