My kids had this really cool sign made for me last month
for my 55th bday. I was in the process of taking pics to
post the 335 for sale, and decided for an impromptu photo
op with one of my keepers.

IEDAgHVl.jpg

HHlSuIOl.jpg

All of this really got me thinking about the build quality between the
two grills. With just a little bit of care, that Jr. which is now about 34
years old, could look just as good in another 34 years as it does now.
The same can not be said for me, or that 335. We will most likely be
dust in the wind well before then. You know what they say .....
They just don't build'em like then used too.

There are a few things I do like about the new grills. I like the height, the igniters / gas collectors are ceramic and should last way way longer. Each burner has one so you can start on any burner. I also find the burner tubes pop in and out without screws or bolts a big convenience for cleaning.

Yah, That new Genesis probably won't last as long as the Jr, but most people don't expect a grill to last more than about 10 years or so. SO, for their bread and butter Genesis and Spirit lines, they probably don't care that the grills won't be around two decades from now. Probably a bit of the "planned obsolescence" thing along with just skimping on quality to increase profits.

Oh, forgot to mention - I love the sign and the picture! It seemed to be a great spring day in a lot of places yesterday.

Super cool. I love the sign and have never seen a Jr before!

Totally agree on new vs old. I'm 35 and wonder what I'll do when I can't find parts for these old grills anymore. I rescue as many as I can, but at some point they will be gone forever.

What next? Do I move to Napoleons? Do I start to rescue 20 year old ultra premium stainless units from brands like Blaze and Bull instead?

Something about Weber is just nostalgic. The design and history. The community. I'll miss it.

Last edited:
Dave,
That is AWESOME! What a great gift - so fitting and deserved. :coolkettle: HAPPY B-DAY 🎂 !

Well, I like BOTH of those grills but totally agree with you - and others here - about their relative longevity. If you want a newer Genesis II to last you need to be committed to serious, regular cleaning and very dry storage when not in use. But, I bet it DOES grill very well with those updated burners and the extra "sear" burner. Some dismiss that, but I found it very helpful on my previous generation SE Genesis. Weber scramble to bring it back after first discontinuing it when the Genesis II line was launched.

Super cool. I love the sign and have never seen a Jr before!

Totally agree on new vs old. I'm 35 and wonder what I'll do when I can't find parts for these old grills anymore. I rescue as many as I can, but at some point they will be gone forever.

What next? Do I move to Napoleons? Do I start to rescue 20 year old ultra premium stainless units from brands like Blaze and Bull instead?

Something about Weber is just nostalgic. The design and history. The community. I'll miss it.
I"m 38 and have thought the same thing. MHP is my next step, but no need yet. Blaze makes a full 316 grill and cart but that's $3,000.

Back