Old Genesis Control Panel Comparison

Jay M from LI

Hi All,
I've been lurking around here for a couple of years now and learned quite a bit, love the before and afters. I'm onto my 3rd rehab now. This one is my favorite - the Genesis 3000 redhead (late 90's model I believe). Frame and cookbox were sanded down and repainted, both look brand new now. Red lid was in great condition after a little soap and scrubbing. And all new wood slats have been stained and spar'd. My problem is the control panel, it's really not in good shape at all. Even after a cleaning it's got some decent rust and that lots of black porcelain fade that can't be corrected. No luck finding a decent donor yet. After all this work I don't want this to what takes away from the grill. Question is does anyone know if these two panels are interchangeable? I know the control knob settings wouldn't line up with high/medium/low, but i'm ok with that. I know where the clicks are, i just want it to look as new as the rest of the grill. They look very close but I can't tell for sure.
Any help would be appreciated.

discontinued everywhere I've found
part_p_1476261_1409252780.gif

still available online
part_p_1476720_1106771298.gif

Jay,
Welcome to TVWBB, at least in a public way!

I do not believe the panel that is available will work for you. I know that the one you have is from the 1000-5000 series Genesis because I have the same one on my Skyline which has the deep 13 flavorizer bar firebox. I am almost positive that the replacement panel you are looking at is for the Genesis Silver/Gold grills. These had the shallower 5 flavorizer bar firebox which has the burners spaced a little differently. They are NOT interchangeable.

You might find someone here who has a better control panel to help you out. Finding a new OEM one probably is not going to happen since the last x000 grills date back about 20 years.

Let me check tomorrow. I might have a spare control panel for a x000. I just don’t how the condition is.

I have these. I think they are from Genesis 1000 grills. They are the same and have part #8006 on the bottom left corner.

nFeIbep.jpg

They are dirty but should clean up easily.

I have these. I think they are from Genesis 1000 grills. They are the same and have part #8006 on the bottom left corner.

They are dirty but should clean up easily.

Thank you Bruce!!! this is exactly why I wish I became a member a long time ago. Everyone here is so helpful.
eReplacementParts actually allowed me to order a new one on Monday, but I have a good feeling the order will end up cancelled by end of the week.
Assuming that I'll still need one, let me know what you'd like for it (plus shipping of course). My zip is 11758.

Hey folks, so a couple of quick follow up questions. I finally got my grill almost done. Still have to finish flip up table, emblem needs to be sanded down, knobs were not exact replacements but fit all the same, and the handle was a hardwood replacement from grillparts - not perfect color but close enough for me.
I started with a 3000, removed the side burner and used a 1000 (i think) as a donor for some parts. The control panel that came with my 3000 appears to be about 1/2" too wide. My wood shelf hangs off slightly as seen in the pic. The screw holes on the right side of the panel are about 1/2" away from the thingys they screw into underneath. And my valves sit more to the right than they should. Now I'm wondering if I'm even looking for the correct replacement control panel. This panel is almost exactly 12" wide. Longshot but based on this and the pics does anyone know the correct control panel I should be looking for?

apologies on the big pics, kept trying to shrink them down but still showing up big here

Jay,

Are you sure you have the right burner tubes? It strikes me as if you have ones that are too long (such as maybe ones for a Silver/Gold). Does the manifold appear to be lined up correctly? It does look like everything is off to the "right" by 1/2" to and inch which would occur if the burner tubes are too long and stick out further pushing your manifold and control panel off to the right.

There should be a little gap between the control panel and cook box but not a lot. How big is your gap? I would think it would be the same panel for a 1000 as a 3000 and I think that is part #8006 which should be on the bottom left hand side of the panel.

Thank you Jon,
That was actually my thought too, but the manifold bolts properly to the cookbox, and the tubes came with the grill. Doesn't mean prior owner didn't have the wrong tubes, but they seem to fit properly. I didn't have to fight with anything to put it all back together.
Strange thing is the control panel is sitting as far left as it can go. It just seems wider than it should be, extending to far to the right.
I'll have to go over it once more and make sure I have everything lined up underneath. It's far from a big deal, to the uninitiated I'm sure it looks fine, but it's one of those little things that's going to bug me till I fix it.

Thanks Bruce,
I'm going to check it again tonite. That's the part # I have on the bottom left of my panel, I wonder if in my haste to get it all back together I have something off slightly.

There is a lip on the control panel that is designed to slip under a ridge on the cookbox. If it butting against that ridge, it will push the panel to the right a good 1/2".

Drop some photos that show the left side of the cook box where it buts up to the fram and then a photo that shows the right side of the cookbox where it buts up to the control panel.

Oh, and just to make sure, you do have a Genesis 1000-5000 cookbox in there, correct??? You didn't try to put a Silver B cookbox in by any chance?

Back