Old gas grill conversion to smoker?

LOL! I used to have that very same gasser on top in your sketch! It was actually my very first gas grill and I had no experience with them. 40,000 BTU? Waz da mean? Put both burners on High in prep for some burgers. Still in charcoal mindset, I waited about 30 mins for it to 'warm up'. I throw the burgers on and they burst into smoke-n-flame! I eventually could do decent crispy-skin chicken on it using the top shelf. One day the front glass exploded during a cook and I tossed it. It was years before I tried a gasser again.
icon_wink.gif

I don't think your setup will hold temps well at all. As I recall, that gasser is well ventillated - the hood has a large air gap at the back and the bottom has long slotted openings.

Might be good for cold-smoking though.

My thoughts.... take your old grill. Disassemble the cast lid and bottom. Take those 2 parts to a local scrap yard and sell for 10 bucks... use that 10 bucks towards buying a WSM! haha

ha ha, okay okay, it was a thought. Good points though, there are some gaps in there for air to go out. I am trying to be "thrifty" and not spend too much on a new smoker.

lol, you guys are killing me here
icon_smile.gif

BBQ glass exploded lol

Braby, how about a used WSM on kijiji or craigslist, sometimes, you can find one for a great price and in decent condition.

i saw an ad for one of these recently, and was wondering - if the dimensions were right, could you dump the top part and use the legs/base as a stand for the wsm? just a thought.....

Back