Old Bay Recipe - Worst Ever

James Harvey

TVWBB Pro
I am trying out a new butt rub for tomorrow and couldn't find Old Bay anywhere today so I looked it up. The recipe is below. What a disaster. I think it was the celery salt because the taste was pretty much just salt. The only thing I didn't have was mace.

•1 tablespoon ground dried bay leaves
•2 teaspoons celery salt
•1-1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
•1-1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
•1 teaspoon sweet or smoked paprika
•1 teaspoon ground celery seeds
•1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
•1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
•1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
•1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
•1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
•1/8 teaspoon ground mace
•1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
•1/8 teaspoon ground allspice

Don't think I missed or messed anything.

Old Bay is such an eastern shore of Maryland thing. I didn't know the stuff existed until I moved to the area. It's good on shrimp/crab, but a pork butt? Haven't tried, nor thought of, that one before. I'll take your word for it and not perform that experiment myself. :D

"It's good on shrimp/crab, " and popcorn.... Would of never thought on pork and you apparently now conform.

Chad, first time for me in a rub. The amount is negligible, 2 cups of finished rub and only 2 tsp of Old Bay. I was curious as well but I do like bay leaves and thought they would give a savoury edge to a chile based rub. This rub is paprika based (I know it's not real chile) and pretty boring at first glance but I'm trying to go back to basics and build on my base.

That said, I just placed a new order with Silk Road Spices (cheaper delivered from BC than the artisan spice store a few minutes away) for a wide array of peppers for specialty meals. I'm looking forward to Fall stews and goulash.

I have used old bay here and there in things like turkey soup , and I put a pinch of it in my rubs now n then but that is good to know. I won't be tempted to go too heavy with it in future. Sorry for your pain.:wsm:

A friend gave me Rick Moonen's book "Fish - Without a Doubt" about 3 years ago and it has become my #1 favorite fish book. I refer to it often. The recipes are very approachable and clearly presented, not to mention outstandingly flavorful. There were so many Old Bay clones out there and none that I have tried have come close to his Homemade Chesapeake Seasoning. And better yet, it is salt-free. I think you would like it.

Rita

HOMEMADE CHESAPEAKE SEASONING

From: Rick Moonen and Roy Finamore. “Fish Without a Doubt—The Cook’s Essential Companion” © 2008 Houghton Mifflin, ISBN-13: 978-0618531196

Makes about 2 1/2 tablespoons. Here's my take on a salt-free Old Bay seasoning. Double or triple this recipe to have on hand. Use it as a rub for shrimp or crabs before you steam them. Or mix it with mayonnaise to make a spicy spread for sandwiches or for coating fish that you'll be grilling.- Rick Moonen

1 tablespoon celery seeds
1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
1 teaspoon white peppercorns
1 large bay leaf, torn into a few pieces
1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
About 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon cayenne

Combine all the ingredients in a spice grinder. Process until finely ground.
Store out of the light in a glass jar for up to 6 months.

Old Bay is my "secret ingredient" in my boiled peanuts, down here in Lower Alabama !!! :)

Never tried it in a rub, though...

D Larsen

A friend gave me Rick Moonen's book "Fish - Without a Doubt" about 3 years ago and it has become my #1 favorite fish book. I refer to it often. The recipes are very approachable and clearly presented, not to mention outstandingly flavorful. There were so many Old Bay clones out there and none that I have tried have come close to his Homemade Chesapeake Seasoning. And better yet, it is salt-free. I think you would like it.

Rita

HOMEMADE CHESAPEAKE SEASONING

From: Rick Moonen and Roy Finamore. “Fish Without a Doubt—The Cook’s Essential Companion” © 2008 Houghton Mifflin, ISBN-13: 978-0618531196

Makes about 2 1/2 tablespoons. Here's my take on a salt-free Old Bay seasoning. Double or triple this recipe to have on hand. Use it as a rub for shrimp or crabs before you steam them. Or mix it with mayonnaise to make a spicy spread for sandwiches or for coating fish that you'll be grilling.- Rick Moonen

1 tablespoon celery seeds
1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
1 teaspoon white peppercorns
1 large bay leaf, torn into a few pieces
1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
About 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon cayenne

Combine all the ingredients in a spice grinder. Process until finely ground.
Store out of the light in a glass jar for up to 6 months.
Rita, this is a GREAT recipe! Made some this morning for a broccoli/cauliflower salad that called for ¼t of Old Bay... did not have any, and remembered reading this thread last week...
Thank you kindly:)

Glad you like it, Jim. I don't use anything else anymore. As I believe our old friend Jim Minion used to say, "I'm enamorated with it."

Has anyone heard from Jim Minion? He has been missed here for way too long.

Rita

Back