Oklahoma Joe's BBQ Sausage

Barry McCorkle

TVWBB Super Fan
I just returned from a trip to KC so I had a chance to try Oklahoma Joe's BBQ and thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the sausage.

One big question for the board: Where do they get their sausage, how do they smoke it and how can I get something similar to try smoking at home? I live in S.C., so if it's not Hillshire Farm or Carolina Pride our stores don't carry it. Not sure where to start, so any advice would be welcome.

If I knew how to cook anything that resembled OK Joe's, I'd quit my job & open a restaurant! First of all, Barry, glad you made the trek to KC & enjoyed some of our finest BBQ. I am fortunate enough to live near a number of excellent BBQ joints and Joe's is at the top of the list. My claim to fame is that in one BBQ competition we beat the OK Joe's competition team in one category. Sounds impressive, right? Well, we were in the bottom quarter and they were DQ'd for turning in too late! But still, we beat them!! Next time your in KC, PM me and I'll meet you for some Q!!

I work in kck area and hear nothing but locals that have told me that it's nothing special apparently I was told wrong?

Still looking for any advice on making smoked sausage like Ok Joe. Can any of you that live in the KC area ask around to see if anyone knows what sausage to use or spices?

Tim, Thanks for the info. After reading the article, I decided to call Ok Joe and see what they would tell me. Turns out that in the last 6 - 8 months they moved sausage making in-house at the Mission Rd location. Looks like I will be moving on to trial and error cooking on my kettle to see what I can do using a combination of Brats and Smoked Sausage with OK Joe seasoning.

Seems like Krizman's House would be a good place to start. Give them a call and see if they can ship you a variety of their sausages for you to try. Or, just tell them that you're trying to replicate the OK Joe's sausage and see what they say. If they don't ship directly, hook up with someone on this board and work something out. I know if I had something special around here, I'd help a member out.

Krizman's makes a killer BBQ roll that I can vouch for. For that matter, all their sausage is great, but the BBQ roll (both hot and mild) is my favorite. I believe they do ship, but I'm not 100% sure on that. If you're on Facebook, they have a page you can check out. They have a website also, but I don't think they maintain it much anymore. Mostly says to call for information. Good luck.

I asked after seeing this and they all said oh my no it's over priced average q

I'd be curious to know what they think is good kc bbq. I've been to kc a few times over the years to visit family, the most recent was this Feb. I've been to a bunch of places and really like OK Joe's. I thought the prices were fair, and in line with any decent restaurant. My family just moved back to kc, so on this trip we were doing some research on any new bbq places, and none had good enough reviews to skip going to OK Joe's.

Tim, Thanks for the info. After reading the article, I decided to call Ok Joe and see what they would tell me. Turns out that in the last 6 - 8 months they moved sausage making in-house at the Mission Rd location. Looks like I will be moving on to trial and error cooking on my kettle to see what I can do using a combination of Brats and Smoked Sausage with OK Joe seasoning.

Do you have the capacity to make your own sausage? I make my version of a Texas hot link that's a really simple mix of salt, pepper, cayenne, and a pinch of garlic. I smoke it over a mix of fruit and hard wood, and then grill it.

J,

No I don't currently have the capacity to make my own sausage unless I get the attachment for our mixer. However, I would be interested in some advice along these lines.

Barry, there is a link on this very site that may help you: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?46907-Sausage-Making-for-Beginners-e-Course-PDF

J, I have to agree with you on what folks from KC think good BBQ is, exactly....I think they "SAY" OK Joe's it's average in order to keep the mile-long lines down :)

IMHO, here's my rundown on KC BBQ.......
LC's has the best brisket and baked beans in the city. And the dirtiest floors.
OK Joe's has the best chicken, sausage, ribs & 2nd place brisket.
Johnny's is close on ribs and chicken (they smoke the chicken first, then deep fry it!).
Jack Stack has the best beef ribs, burnt ends and overall best sides.
Just about anyplace has pulled pork that is great, but Smokin' Guns is pretty good for that.
BB's Lawnside has the best party atmosphere, and offers Cajun sides (so does RJ's), unlike most places.
If you get tired of BBQ in KC, be sure to try Stroud's (either location) for great fried chicken.

The best butchers.....Krizman's, Bicklemeyer's, Werner's and Fritz's.

Last edited:
Here's an easier run down on kc restraunt bbq it's not as good as anyone with a tad bit of effort can make at home and that's the truth have ate at all of the places you mentioned and hear others reviews all the time and honestly all the bbq is edible but none of it is fantastic or even great it's decent food made for the masses and if you disagree That's ok

Back