"Oklahoma Joe" Davidson's "Best Beans on the Planet"

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
My friend Cam Engel forwarded me this recipe:

I have made this 2x and the result is excellent. Two days after I cooked this recipe, I grilled some Boar’s Head hotdogs w/ grill toasted buns. I covered with a layer of cheddar cheese and topped with the beans. It’s making my mouth water right now!

Joe's website says that this recipe was featured in the July 2009 issue of Playboy.

---

"Oklahoma Joe" Davidson
Barbecue World Champion
Recipe courtesy of joedavidson.com

This is one of those recipes that really embody true BBQ. Simple is always best and this bean recipe has proven that for years. It won “Best Beans on the Planet” early in my competition career and continues to win accolades with judges and more importantly friends and family.

Note: You’ll need cooked brisket for this recipe! It’s the secret ingredient that really makes these beans the best on the planet!

Ingredients:
  • 2 - 15 oz cans of pork & beans
  • 1 - 15 oz can of dark-red kidney beans
  • 1 - 15 oz can of black beans
  • 1 small red onion, diced
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and diced
  • 2 cups golden (light) brown sugar
  • 18 oz of your favorite tomato-based barbecue sauce (Cam used Trader Joe brand)
  • 1 lb chopped barbecued brisket (optional but recommended for best results)
Preheat oven or grill to 350 degrees.
Drain beans and mix with all the remaining ingredients in an aluminum-foil pan.
Place the pan on a cookie sheet and cook at 350 degrees for 2 hours.
Let stand 30 minutes before serving.

Serves 12-18.

...featured in the July 2009 issue of Playboy...
I'll be darned ... I guess some people really DO read it for the articles.
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for posting this Chris. I just had these beans about a month ago. My supervisor made these and gave me some. They are really good for how simple they are. He did his on his offset pit over cherry and apple wood for many hrs. The smoked brisket was key in the beans.
icon_wink.gif

I love Oklahoma Joe's BBQ. It is located about 10 mins from me. I eat there at least twice a month. Burnt ends or long end with fries is the way to go!!!

I think Oklahoma Joe's BBQ is the best in KC - I love those beans. I work in KC about once or twice a year and always make my bbq rounds.

I just made this recipe on the lower rack of the WSM. I made 4 slabs of babybacks on the upper rack and let the drippings go into the foil pan of beans. Instead of brisket, I used the cooked trimmings of spare ribs that I had in the freezer. I used KC Masterpiece original sauce and only 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar. I think next time I will only use 1 cup of brown sugar. Overall, I would say that this recipe rocks. I didn't get it exactly like I remember the beans at Oklahoma Joe's were, but they were really good.

This the same Oklahoma Joe's in the gas station in KC we're talking about?

Can't believe I'm resurrecting this thread...

...But I made these beans last week and they are nowhere even close to what is served at Oklahoma Joe's. This recipe is great, but not the real deal.

Does anyone have any insight into the real recipe?

Back