Okay, I made off with the neighbor's peach tree. Now what?

Ha, I was just about to say use a miter box. Ive tried bandsaws and I broke a blade and jammed one up. Miter saw cut up wood like butter. easily the best way to do it. Chainsaw is fine if you like the thought of bar oil. Probably not a big deal though

My bandsaw has never picked up a piece of wood and thrown it at me like the table saw did (yeah, operator error). I'll cross cut round wood on a bandsaw, not try and split it.

Save the planet manual method:
Build a small v-shaped trough about 2 foot long with a stable base {a small sawbuck} to hold the sticks of wood. Buy an efficient small hand saw like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Vaughan-...id=1308058961&sr=8-2

"Japanese" style saws cut on the pull stroke. I've got one of these Vaughn "Bear" coarse/medium saws and it cuts quickly and clean on rough wood. You can knock out a pile of chunks in no time.

Ken (who still has all 10 fingers!)

Ken, I wouldn't split smoke wood until it's time to use it. That'll slow down drying out, and heck, after cutting into short lengths, the splitting is the EASY part. I could get my mother-in-law to do that... Good idea on a good saw and a sawbuck, though. Cutting round pieces of wood to length is the only real chore.

I wish I would of got that air advise when I was trying to bring some cherry wood back from Michigan. Cut up and put in plastic bag for a few days while waiting to come back home. Was in airport and happened to look in bag and wood was covered in mold. Threw in trash can and waited for someone to come get me thinking I was placing a bomb or something. Thanks to home depot guy on This forum for getting home depot to carry cherry wood I now have some.

Just a quick remark about the bar oil in chainsaws. Most of the bar oil is thrown away from the sword because of the centrifugal force involved. You will find almost all of the remaining oil, less than 2% in the sawdust.
Considering the amount of wood you can cut up during a short time with a chainsaw, we're talking about particles.
This is not something I have made up, it is taken from a study that tried to find out if the bar oil polluted the wood and the environment. The result was quite clear- it's harmless.

Still worried? Crank up the bar oil valve to max, fill your saw with peanut oil, and let it rip!

Well guys, looke like we got Jennifer's wood cut up just fine and I am guessing she still has ten fingers on two hands. Good job lady!!
icon_biggrin.gif

John, I had no idea what I was starting!! My wood pile is looking pretty robust and I feel enthusiastic about the apple tree possibility - glutton for punishment. The pork butt I cooked while I was hauling wood came out great, too. What a bonus.

Guys, thank you for the ideas and discussion. I don't want to break costly tools, or end up wearing "fingerless gloves" ... literally. With all your excellent advice and suggestions, I feel pretty confident about the wood processing, now.

Back