Ok, tell me what to smoke next...

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
I have made some progress thanks to your help, but now want to try something besides ribs and chicken.

I don't know much about the different meats, but what would you consider to be a great meat for me to smoke. I hear about pork butt which i understand to be a shoulder (go figure), but again, beyond steaks, ribs and chicken, and pork chops, i am a novice.

Pls provide some direction, including cooking temps, internal temps, how many pounds of meat and how long it should take.

as always, your help is appreciated.

At the top of this page click the tab that says Cooking. There you'll find info on pork butt selection and a couple approaches to cooking them--along with lots of other info on other meats Chris has written and organized. Start there, then ask questions here.

I love to do pork butts...sausage is a great one too only take about an hour and a half. Another idea is to go to the store and see what they have on sale or that looks good and then find a recipie in the cooking or forum section.

I vote for pulled pork.

I made some pork butt this past weekend. 8:00pm until 12:00noon a 16hr cook (with no Guru, probe broken). I have made pulled pork in the past, but this is the first time to top it off with mustard coleslaw. I recommend not leave it out.

Monitored WSM temperature with a Nu-temp from my bed and everything worked our great.

Have you tried beef ribs? Tasty, stay away from the shiners, not enough meat on them.

i am amazed at how much info is on this site. I just watched the video on the WSM and also read the feature on pork butts. I did not realize they took so long to cook. At this time, i am not equipped to cook something like that. I still have not invested in a serious smoker (have the brinkman charcoal and electric). I'm sure the electric would work but i'm not sure i am up for trying it.

how about thick pork chops, do they work on the smoker?

If you've done ribs I'm assuming you've cooked for more than 5 hours. If you're willing to go 9, get a chuck roast. Search here on pot roast or stogie and you'll get a link to the chuck roast cook. They go about 3 hours per pound.

Be sure to throw on a fattie with whatever you end up cooking. Man do those come out good. My neighbor tried some of mine and thought that I had made my own sausage.

For a shorter cook, be sure to try the sweet cured salmon in the seafood section of the COOKING page. Simply outstanding - we do it often, and DH Robert won't order salmon in a restaurant anymore because he's spoiled.
icon_wink.gif

Keri C

Another popular item around our house is smoked turkey breast. They don't take too long, are easy to do, taste delicious, and you save a bundle as compared to buying in a deli.

I cooked the 'old Man Jim's Mearloaf" from the BeefRecipes this last week. It was great. I suggest you cut it in half unless you can use 9 lbs of meatloaf. Easy to mix and easy to cook and great for days after you cook it. If you have som kids of friends who might eat it go for the whole thing just takes a couple of pans.

Bill_W,
Freeeeeezer! I regularly use 10 pounds of meat to just begin the meatloaf. It's great for sandwiches, leftovers, over spaghetti or in hoagies as meatballs (cut into 1-inch cubes), and more.

Cook it and they will come.
Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pete Z:
Be sure to throw on a fattie with whatever you end up cooking. Man do those come out good. My neighbor tried some of mine and thought that I had made my own sausage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hate to sound like a newbie, but what's a fattie?

Edit: never mind.. found it on the meat page..

Back