Ok so school me on some new stuff.

BFletcher has it right-on. Common wisdom today is to take a finished brisket to 205°F. Virtually impossible to do that in a 200-220°F cooker.

In Smoke & Spice, for brisket they call for a 200-220°F cooker, "transfer the brisket to the coolest part of the smoker, fat side up..." then "Cook the brisket until well-done, 1 to 1-1/4 hours per pound."

OK...

I can understand how you might walk away with that understanding but if that was the everyday approach for smoking meat I'd have to find a new hobby, lol.

I bought a stick burner just because of that Smoke and spice book years ago. Somewhere in there it says something about the best way to BBQ is with a log fire. Sadly my stick burner is under a pine tree rusting away. It's a Brinkman which might explain my lack of success with it. I tried and tried with that thing and don't believe I ever got anything as good as my first haphazard attempt with my smokey mountain.
There is a lot of good info in that book. But there are also some things in there that flat out never worked for me. But I do believe everybody should have a copy of it. But as with any BBQ book,don't take anything as gospel

I can understand how you might walk away with that understanding but if that was the everyday approach for smoking meat I'd have to find a new hobby, lol.

Oh I agree. I bought the book and read it but was already smoking in the 275-300 range.
I remember a quote from a well respected member on the board that said " The only thing "Magic" when cooking @ 225 or lower, is it just takes longer.":)

Tim

Back