OK, I give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Barlow

TVWBB Super Fan
What is a Tri Tip? I can't find anything marked like that at Sam's, Wally World, Albertson's, anywhere. Whatizit? /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Tri-tip is a steak here in California. I believe out your way it's called a sirloin tip. I cooked mine on the Weber Kettle and it was excellent!
Larry

Larry --

Just so we don't confuse Howard further, the
term Tri-Tip really refers to a type of roast, that is commonly cut into steaks, in some areas.

However, the "real" way of cooking them is as a roast. This roast is properly referred to as a bottom sirloin, I believe. While the "steaked out" Tri-Tip is good, the roast is vastly superior.

For a primer on these roasts, go to: www.santamaria.com/SantaMaria/bbq.html

Howard -- hope this clears things up, a little. This particular piece of meat is slowly making its presence known, further and further east. You
will find that a lot of eastern butchers still have no idea what a Tri-Tip is.

"You
will find that a lot of eastern butchers still have no idea what a Tri-Tip is."

thats true, here in Bean-town i think i saw my first supermarket ad for tri-tip about 2 months ago.

there even seems to be some general disagreement as to what a tri-tip actually is around these parts, will check out that link, thanks.

Tri-Tip ...a mystery meat.

Yes, you're right; it is a roast. No sooner had a written that, I saw at Trader Joe's a Tri-Tip refered to as a roast. I've always had them as steaks tho. Such a great piece of meat to not be known everywhere huh?
Larry

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Theo B:
[QB ... a mystery meat .[/b][/QB] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Theo-
There really is a mystery meat. On one of our trips to Russia, we ate at a restaurant that listed "Mystery Meat" on the menu. When we asked, "Is it beef...pork...chicken...horse...beaver...squirrel...rabbit...bear...goat...sheep........?"
The reply was a steady , "No."
"What IS it?"
"It's mystery meat." /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif
Well, I wasn't too interested, but a few tried it. It looked like white chicken meat about 1/8" thick, about 4-5" across. "Nope, it definitely isn't chicken or pork", was the response. They ate it, but no one asked for seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back