OK, I bought the ceramic dish

I got the 12" at HD. It feels like it weighs a few pounds. Is this it? If I foil around both the stock pan and the saucer is the room left enough to prevent dripping over the side of the whole thing? This isn't rocket science I know, but my wife always said I was mechanically challenged
icon_biggrin.gif

Dave,

The 14-inch pan from HD fits nicely into the stock pan. The 12-inch pan fits into the Brinkman charcoal pan. I have both, and used the 14-inch/stock pan combo this past weekend - worked great. The 12-inch pan would sink a bit further into the stock pan, but it should work. I might try foiling the dish and the pan separately, and then assembling and putting another piece of foil over the top of the assembly. leave it a bit loose, to allow for the juices to accumulate.

Rick

Rick,
Yes, I had done what you suggest in your last sentence. After foiling each separately and then foiling the whole thing loosely, looks like there is plenty of room for drippings to stay put. I got the only clay saucer I could see. I also have the brinkman charcoal pan that I can try with the saucer. Advice appreciated.
Not much call for flower pots up here in September so supply low

ok, school me on the ceramic dish. i use the brinkman charcoal pan for my water pan, what size dish should i use? do the ceramic dish goes inside the water pan? and a host of other ?'s. so be slow and explain to the short bus rider how it's done.

The Other Dave,

I understand how you are feeling. When I first read of this approach, it all seemed so confusing about what size to get. For the brinkman charcoal pan. a 12-inch clay flower pot bottom fits nicely. When put into the pan, the top of the dish (flower pot bottom) will be about level with the top of the pan. It will not interfere with the bottom grate. When put together it will look like a small pan inside of a larger pan. If you are using a stock WSM water pan, a 14-inch flower pot bottom fits nicely. Hope this helps you out.

Rick

Rick,
Gotcha, appreciate it.
Can you imagine all this fuss over a lousy clay saucer? I either got the last one at my HD or there are a lot more smokers around here than I would have thought.

No, no water - best of luck

I think that we are making such a big fuss about the silly clay saucer is that using water is a big pain - it boils off, it spills, you pick up the center section and slop the water onto the coals - Its so much easier - and it even cuts your fuel consuption !
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dave caston:
to be clear now, NO WATER, right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, No water
icon_biggrin.gif

I used a clay pot for the first time Saturday for a six hour spare rib cook.

I used the Minion method with the charcoal ring a little more than half filled.

Monday morning when I got around to cleaning up, I discovered that what every one was saying about charcoal use was true. There were many more briquettes left in useable condition than when I lasted cooked for 6 hours with water.

I'm grilling steaks tonight with the briquettes that were left over.

Given the ease of cleanup, the temperature sensitivity to changes in airflow and the economy of charcoal use, I'll be making the clay pot a standard for my WSM use.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There were many more briquettes left in useable condition than when I lasted cooked for 6 hours with water. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joe, yes it's pretty amazing how much more efficient it is. I use Rancher with my clay saucer(s) and I'm amazed at how much fuel is left after my cooks. This weekend I did ribs and a brisket, took 10 - 11 hours and I had 1/2 of my full ring left after my smoke. Rancher really seems to burn longer than others for me too. I just finished a two hour cook which I first did chicken thighs, then did two 1/2 chickens (or 1 split chicken). Started with about 2/3 chimney of Rancher and probably could have gotten another hour out of the coals that were still burning when I removed the last of the chicken, which was 2 hours later.

It should be obvious from my great number of posts on the subject that I love Rancher with a clay saucer.

Is there anyone who has tried the clay saucer that went back to water?

Sand in the pan is good - the piedmont pan is good - has anyone gone back to water?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rich langer:
It should be obvious from my great number of posts on the subject that I love Rancher with a clay saucer.

Is there anyone who has tried the clay saucer that went back to water?

Sand in the pan is good - the piedmont pan is good - has anyone gone back to water? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rich, 4 years ago I did my first cook without water. Just the stock WSM water pan with a sheet of HD foil in it half way up in the center of the pan to collect the drippings. That water pan has never seen water since. Just a sheet of foil 1/2 way (to form a air space) into the pan every cook. Maybe I'll pick up a clay saucer one of these days and put it in the pan, but I doubt it. It'll be just one more thing to wrap in foil.
icon_eek.gif

Based on this thread I went for the saucer today. Got ir from HD for like $7, and am optesting it right now.seems to be working like a champ!

I've been having such a hard time finding the right size ceramic dish I did the next best thing. I found a large Big Green Egg on eBay. Needs a couple of pieces / parts replaced, but otherwise it was a steal. Soon as I get it cooking I'll post about the progress on it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jbaker:
I've been having such a hard time finding the right size ceramic dish I did the next best thing. I found a large Big Green Egg on eBay. Needs a couple of pieces / parts replaced, but otherwise it was a steal. Soon as I get it cooking I'll post about the progress on it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If anyone needs a 14" saucer, they are being clearenced at my local Kmart - under $5 - if you want one and pick it up from me at the Carbondale, Fire & Ice, Arthur or Independance comp please let me know

Did the cleanup the othernight from the saucer mod. So much easier. This is the way to go from now on. Has anyone used this method with a turkey? I read somewhere that a Turkey relied on the water from the bowl to add moisture. I do not see how this could be correct, especially if you used a brine. Anyone tried it?

Jeff,

I don't think you'd get any real moisture benefit from water in the pan/bowl. You're correct, the brining will take care of that.

When doing a turkey, if you want a crisper skin, you'll want to go with a higher temp - 325 to 350. In this situation, I don't use the ceramic bowl. I do foil the old brinkman but don't add water. It just merely catches juices and acts as a heat barrier.

Back