Ok got tired of the same ole flippers...gunna try the big leagues...what do I have here?

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Looking to try something new. I have curbed my flips to only profitable quickies vs all of the 1000's that I have done with the cook box stripping and painting and wood replacement. I certainly kept my share out of the landfill. So I have been focusing on the 300 series with the knobs on the side and side burners. They are easy to get back up and running and sell for $300 all day long. Now after several 300 series its time to play w the big dogs for a change. I picked up a Summit for $75. It has good burners...good bars....very thick ss grates. I made a huge error in judgement on the trip home by using a bunjee on the doors so they would stay shut but I didnt remove the 10lb grease trey so while driving down the road the grease trey forced the door off of the spring tensioner and it fell off banging in to the other door because it was bunjee'd to it :( Friggin bummer! The damage is minor but I was looking for a pristine resto here and big money. Anyway....only the bottom shelf needs to be replaced which I can fabricate. I cant read the sticker so what Summit do I have here??? I am not at all familiar with the Summit models other than my Youtube research last night. I am assuming it is a 670 but mine has 8 knobs and all of the Summits I see have 9. Does my grill still fall into the 670 group? What knob am I missing? My grill looks to be at least 10 years old....no pop up rotisserie. I dont think the knobs light up....and I think it uses the old ignition. Let the resto begin!!!

Attachments

• 20220530_155624.jpg
    20220530_155624.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 63
I am not a expert on the Summits, but I would think that is probably a 3rd generation...maybe second. I also beleive is a 600 series with six burners. The extra knobs are probably for the side burner and sear burners. A third extra knob might be for an IR burner.

Your key on that grill is probably going to come down to what the front and back panels in the cook box look like. That is the biggest issue on those grills although, there may be still parts available for that grill if it is a third generation.

Ah yes....there's nothing quite like a Summit rebuild to test a man's spirit. Been there, done that on more than one occasion so I must be a little slow to catch on. There won't be a next time, though. I've learned to hate just about everything about Summits regardless of the generation. Good luck to you, kind sir. This fella here in NY is cheering for you.

I don't think you can go wrong for $75. It looks new enough to where it may be worthwhile to try and register it with Weber, if you can find the serial #.

Looks like a 650. Big knobs are regular 6 burners. Small knob on the left is IR Rotisserie burner. Small knob on left is smoke box. No middle little knob which is the sear station (670 has that) just rebuilt my 13 year old 670. Parts weren't cheap but at least cookbox was warranteed and new.

Ah yes....there's nothing quite like a Summit rebuild to test a man's spirit. Been there, done that on more than one occasion so I must be a little slow to catch on. There won't be a next time, though. I've learned to hate just about everything about Summits regardless of the generation. Good luck to you, kind sir. This fella here in NY is cheering for you.
Pretty much agree except that I think the first generation ones are just such wonderful examples of the pinnacle of the old Weber. A Platinum 2nd generation with stainless frame and cabinetry is also special. None in my judgment are good candidates for flipping only for keeping if you have the determination and resources to see it through - not for the faint of heart or an easy resell😲.

Looks like a 650. Big knobs are regular 6 burners. Small knob on the left is IR Rotisserie burner. Small knob on left is smoke box. No middle little knob which is the sear station (670 has that) just rebuilt my 13 year old 670. Parts weren't cheap but at least cookbox was warranteed and new.
I concur, as the current owner of a S670 which adds built in roto and center sear burner.

Thanks for the replies. I was able to figure out the serial # on the sticker and it is a 650. As long as those inner bars that I guess hold the burners arent rotted out everything else is cleanable. The only rot is the bottom shelf which is easy to fabricate with the extra steel I have laying around. From your replies this might be my first and my last but I just wanted to play with a different toy. I will post some pics once I get going....I am just finishing the two 300 series and ready to get them gone so I have space for MEGA GRILL 2000......she needs lots of space.

More pics needed for sure before making a final judgement on
your Summit, but like Bruce mentioned ... " what the front and
back panels in the cook box look like," will be the deciding
factor. At first glimpse of the photo you posted, there seems
to be some fairly significant carbon build up along the bottom
edge of the lid ..... that typically means the front panel of the
firebox is rotting out.
All is not lost though .... you may still be able to restore it with
some dignity, and still make a little pocket $$.

Ive basically been told, with exceptions, restoring a summit is a fools errand LOL. But when they work they are great

Love those summit rebuilds, nothing tests your patience more than these great big beasts. In saying that, I am starting on my 4th summit refurb today. This one is an 2011 S-470 NG SS. I purchased it for $100, previous owner bought it in Pittsburgh before moving here in Florida and thought he could easily convert to propane by changing out the hose only, needless to say, most of the inside looked like a volcano ran through it. Lucky for me I have many spear parts and pieces of many Webers and have parts for this. So yes I understand the absolute crazy mind of those of us who love the pain and aggravation doing these. Just remember, one piece at a time.

Back