OK first smoke is on!

AlWielgosz

TVWBB Super Fan
So I'm excited and scared at the same time!
2, 9 pound Pork Butts on the WSM 22. Doing the Mr. Brown to a "T" I'm looking at a 16 hour smoke. Put the meat on at 200* let it run full vent for 20 minutes, then set all three bottom at 25%. top is wide open.
Almost an hour in and looks to be holding around 240* grate temp nicely. Meat is 54* I have the meat on the top rack and I'll turn at the half marks.
Hope I can sleep tonight! I have the alarm set on the Maverick sure hope it does not go off in the night and scare the beejeasus out of me.
Wish me luck, Al

It's a Weber. You don't need luck, just patience. Congrats. Let us know how it turns out. BTW, what fuel are you using? I'm doing my first Kingsford Competition charcoal cook - always used Kingsford blue before now. I'm liking how well the K-comp is holding steady.

Thanks Dan, the Smoke Gods must be watching over me. I have never used anything but K-Blue. I almost used all of the 20 pound bag. Now I see what your all talking about when you say it uses a lot of fuel!
Temps have been pretty steady, grate 234 and meat at 158. Up this morning to make the Mop sauce and do the first turn. Can't wait to look at my first ever pork butts!
Al

Went out and added water, racked over the coal's mopped the butts, turned them and mopped top side. Think I'm going back to bed!....................

First Fire
IMG_0520.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Looks great Al. I see you have some Nomex on the mid section.
Gary, I put the Nomex on Friday night before the first use. I did the bottom also, I held off on the door to see how much it leaked, did not seem to leak to much but I think I'll do the door also.

Whew busy morning! Just mixed up Dwain Pannell's "Wicked Beans" Dwain they look amazing Going to put them under the butts now.
Then on to the Cornell Chicken! and ABT's of course! :cool:

Easy man you'll have that thing wore out!!

There's a lot of distance to cover on the door of the 22. A little air leak along a 6 inch surface is not nearly as bad as a12 inch.
The Nomex is great stuff. It's all about controlling air flow

In a pretty long stall here still only 167* on the meat. Chicken is in the brine. Stuffing the ABT's now then I'm about done.

Pork, was great good Bark and Smoke ring. Thanks to this site! I'm not sure if I'd change anything it's like you all said it's all in controlling the temp, the rest does it self.
IMG_0538.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back