Ok First DUMB ???

Guy Wallace

TVWBB Super Fan
I found a WSM 22 local well kina local 15 miles away ! And Iam going to do a cook this morning . Never cooked a thing on a real smoker but been getting decent results with my BBQ side cooking it .
I got a 16 inch clay pot plate for the bottom and raped it in foil ! WHY rap the water pan ? I also have the choice of lump coal or K and I was thinking of doing I know Iam going to spell this wrong thinking of minion the heat .doing 2 butts 17 lbs . a full load a ? and about 20 pieces of K or some lump and wood and letter her rip. so now what am I doing wrong :O)
Never used water so I wasn't gona start now ? Feel free to tell me I know Iam very new at this at worst all I can do is mess up some pork . gotta be easier than feeding a regular bbq K all day and nursing it 12hrs+ :O/.....
What temp do you guys cook your butts to ? Top rack ? seeing as how its 2 butts 1 is 7lbs one is 9 lbs or so one a have to come off sooner than the other ????

The only dumb ? is one not asked.

Wrapping the water pan helps keep it clean too. And it aids a bit of insulation and creating a dead-air space when the wrapped clay plate sits on it.

After starting the Minion Method, let the WSM come up to temp and stabilize before adding the meat.

Don't worry about messing up pork butt - it's bulletproof. You have to make an effort to mess it up.
icon_wink.gif

BTW, did you get a good price on the 22?

Yappers I agree butts are bullet proof
icon_smile.gif
I done one last weekend on my bbq and well it was ate up so fast I almost thought I had dreamed I cooked it
icon_biggrin.gif
no one really said how good they were there mouths were to full to talk eating my hard work
icon_cool.gif
. So these 2 are for us to have dinner from and freeze the rest . Since I started slow smoking on my bbq we have had great luck with freezing meals for later so cooking a lot for us is a good thing . I kina agree about butts being bullet proof that is my reason for doing them first on the WSM and I want some this time to eat :O).

That and no one can get a new WMS without breaking it in ! Besides I got a rib beans and god knows what they will add coming up for the Holiday with my family . so dad aka gran paw will be cooking :O)

As to price yes I did get a decent deal with some extras tossed in but out of respect to the dealer he asked me not shout it on the net so to answer that ? is yes .I like to buy local when I can help the small guy stay in business is good for us all .

I wanted to add Iam going to be starting these at about 4:30 am est here I hope there done in 12 to 14 hrs is this realistic ?? there boneless and one is a bit bigger than the other 7 lbs and 9lbs

One a my BIG concerns is the door it don't fit as tight as I would like but I didn't wana start bending on it right away until I see how the temp reacts !?

Hang in there! It'll get done. Butts are real forgiving. After you cook on the WSM for a while,it will seal itself up pretty good. Don't freak over lost smoke. You'll get plenty to get the job done.

I double wrap my water pan, then I double wrap the saucer and nest it in place. If the meat (especially ribs) is wall to wall on the cooking grate, it is likely to drip down and go between the saucer and water pan. Double foiling is safe as well. Single foiling always seems to leak to me.
My door leaked badly no matter how I adjusted it. This bothered me even tho I knew it wasn't that big of a deal. I bought a replacement door from Cajun Bandit and have been super pleased with the new door that doesn't leak one bit.
How did your first cook go? Butts are a great way to start plus very easy to cook. Other meats are more advanced, especially brisket.

They came out great IMHO .. very good bark and flavor I used Hickory because I like the flavor it imparts . my coal was K . pulled the smaller one after 11 hrs and the bigger one after 14 wraped them and let them rest in a cooler . The K was great also I minioned it and got 10.5 hrs out of a 90% full ring and added a full weber shoot and finished my cooking . I took some pics if I can ever get the camera from my wife :0/

Man...that sounds good Guy. If you can get the camera (lol), post a pic or two to show off your stuff. Fix your wife a great pulled pork sandwich, and while you have her distracted, log on quickly for an upload!
I like hickory wood chunks too. In the south, we have access to pecan wood which is a nice subtle and nutty flavor imparter. I am not fond of mesquite as much as some...seems too strong for my tastes.
Interesting fact is that for most of my cooking life, I tried to see how much smoke I could blast at the meat. Results were oversmoked meats but I thought it was good. As I learned, I am using less wood, keeping vents open for breathing and imparting smoke to enhance, not overpower.
Will look for your pics.

Back