Ok...Butterball turkey's..best way to Q??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron F

TVWBB Fan
Well, its that time of year again folks. Just wondering what everyone's way of Q'n there turkey is. I've done one before and it came out awesome but it's been awhile. I used the self-basting recipe on this site. It was delicious. Couple questions. I know everyone rubs their poultry on the outside. Has anyone ever tried seperating the skin(just working your hand between meat and skin) and then rubbing the meat directly? It seems that whenever you rub the skin, and you don't eat the skin, that you cannot taste the rub. I'm just wondering if doing this may affect anything else. I'd also like a crispy skin, how do I do this? I've read where you take the turkey off the WSM then toss it in the oven for a bit. How long should it be in the oven, at what temp, and at what temp should I take the bird off the WSM? Oh yes, I will be cooking two 12-14lb. butter balls for thanksgiving dinner.... Thanks all..

Ron

Don't know about the crispy skin. Haven't got there. Plus, I wrap it and put it in a warm cooler (oxymoron) for transporting and that tends to uncrisp any skin.

I have separated the skin and put spices underneath. Basically made an herb butter concoction - thyme, basil, garlic, tiny bit of oregano and sage - something like that. It was a goopy mess, but the results were worth doing.

Deep Fried in Peanut Oil. YUM!!!!!!!
icon_biggrin.gif
Bryan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bryan S:
Deep Fried in Peanut Oil. YUM!!!!!!!
icon_biggrin.gif
Bryan <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
When a Smoking "Wizard" tells you to fry your turkey... FRY YOUR TURKEY!
But don't name Bryan or myself in your lawsuit when you burn yourself or burn down your house... Right Bryan?

Raichlen was demonstrating that method on the BBQ U episode they ran in my area last Saturday. He gently worked his hand under the skin all the way down to the thighs, then stood the turkey upright, pulled back the skin, and spooned in some rub, then gently massaged it in.

I might give that a try with my beer can turkey on thanksgiving, but I haven't actually decided which way to go---brine? injector sauce? dunno.

I did a turkey last weekend where I rubbed a flavored butter (garlic, parsley, salt and pepper) under the skin. Smoked with Cherry wood at 330/340. Skin was crispy, but no one ate the skin! Got great reviews from the family. I'll probably just repeat it for T'day, though I wonder if brining it first would make a diffrence.

I agree with you all on a fried turkey. I do have a turkey frier but I'm going to stick to the WSM this year..hmmmmmm...maybe one of each??

Ron

Just a reminder: buy empire kosher turkeys to by pass the brining...

also my wife wants to make a smoked turkey salad this weekend... so instead of buying smoked turkey from the store.....ill be making chris's recipe of the month for the weekend...mmmm......

ps in jan when i go to LA.. its turkey in peanut oil...yum

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mordechai Striks:
Just a reminder: buy empire kosher turkeys to by pass the brining.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True. Nor do you need to brine a Butterball (or any "pre-basted" fowl. But brining allows you more control of the end result (you can flavor the brine or add sugar, or not, as you wish) so I always choose a non-Kosher, un-basted
bird.

I have always deep fried our turkeys and the family just loves them! I inject with creole butter and rub lightly with cajun seasoning. Now maybe this has been covered before, but what about smoking for a couple of hours then finishing in the fryer? Maybe the other way around, fry then finish in the smoker. Maybe I'm just up too late but seems like there should be a way of getting the best of both worlds, any ideas/suggestions?

I did not know that about butterball.. i learn something new almost everyday....

and yes by brining yourself YOU are in control of the amount of sugar and salt...empire is ALL salt brine

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Greg Rempe:
I have never brined a bird before. It had never come out dry and the skin is nice to eat! Perhaps I am just lucky? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never brined a turkey either, since I don't have a big enough container or enough room in my fridge. I usually end up using the Butterball & have really liked the results.

Room in the fridge might be a problem but I will solve the container problem by using heavy duty plastic bags and double bagging.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Edvik:
I've never brined a turkey either, since I don't have a big enough container or enough room in my fridge... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Try using an ice chest instead. Add prechilled brine solution and a cold turkey, then use ice cubes sealed inside Ziploc bags or Blue Ice packs to keep the solution below 40*F.

Regards,
Chris

anyone ever use lawry's 30 minute marinade in an injector for chicken or turkey? Grocer had lawry's on sale so I bought a few, thinking of trying it. How's this sound.. going to do one with lawry's lemon pepper marinade(injected) and rubbed with some lemon pepper. Second one I will use creole butter marinade(injected) with cajun rub. Third one will be deep fried. I'm cooking for Mom(T'day is at her house) and most people there are used to oven roasted turkeys. I just want to make sure there is a variety just in case someone doensn't like the final product
icon_mad.gif
. By the way, this cook is this Sat. Mom does it a week early every year so we're not running around like chickens with our heads cut off to all the different relatives. Having to do that at Xmas is enough!! thanks,

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back