Ohhh noes ... its bout time for a new Kettle

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
I was just cleaning the ash out of my 22" Kettle, getting ready to reverse sear a porterhouse, and I notice the bottom of the bowl is decaying. Its a 1999. I guess its about time for a new one, though this one is probably good until the ash blades fall out the bottom .

eLEB8l5.jpg

Can ya get along with just a 26 Kettle ?

I bought a 26 last summer, but full time use is not really why I bought it. I reverse sear steaks, grill small amounts meat, wings with a vortex .... all on the 22.

Those holes look far too symmetrical...possibly from tools...

Looks like an attempt at spousal approval for a new Weber...

I feel a congratulatory applaud is in order for your long-term use of your 22". I use both and I wouldn't necessarily want to be without either of them. I'm used to and like a 2-zone fire, so when I'm using a Kettle for hearty eaters I appreciate the 26".

Last edited:
Honestly, that's not too bad. Looks better than the bowl on my performer.

Get a new grill, but keep the old one and throw in a new ash blade kit. Maybe buy one of those kettle pizza attachments and use it as your pizza maker 🍕

Honestly, that's not too bad. Looks better than the bowl on my performer.

Get a new grill, but keep the old one and throw in a new ash blade kit. Maybe buy one of those kettle pizza attachments and use it as your pizza maker ��

I replaced the ash blades about 10 years ago. There's nothing wrong with the blades. There's a lot more under the ash blades that the pic does not show. The little black mark is actually another hole. The entire ash blade mechanism can be moved about a 1/2 " , its not far from falling out completely.

I figure it will finally break through one of these days when I'm cleaning the ash out. It would not take much downward pressure.

Can ya get along with just a 26 Kettle ?

I bought a 26 last summer, but full time use is not really why I bought it. I reverse sear steaks, grill small amounts meat, wings with a vortex .... all on the 22.

If you always cook for 4+ people then you could probably get by with a 26er.

If you do not have and do not want any of the 22.5" accessories then you can probably get by with a 26er.

If you cook for less and want all the other goodies then now is a great time to buy. Weber.com has several limited run colors available for the master touches. I have the spring green and it looks awesome and has the new P shaped sweeps. The MT also has the added benefit of being a little taller if you want and has the upgraded grate that works well for vortex cooks. There are also Performer models available in a few colors. It might be worth checking a few ACE hardware stores or other stores in your area to see if any have been put on sale. Of course you could also cruise Facebook Marketplace and probably nab a black 22.5" for half the price or less if you want to go on a budget.

Back