Oh Yes I Can

Paul Kastner

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I was able to cook 15 slabs of ribs on my 22 1/2 WSM Each slab was 2.5 to 3 pounds with the rain and wind took me 7 hours to cook. The ribs were amazing I used apple wood chuncks. The big fella held temp like a champ until the rain hit and I was able to open the vents up and get it up to 230 degrees. I purchased this smoker just for these big occasions with the relatives.

Ribs002.jpg

Ribs019.jpg

Ribs020.jpg

Ribs023.jpg

Ribs024.jpg

Ribs025.jpg

Ribs027.jpg

Ribs030.jpg

Ribs029.jpg

One is a Weber the other is a Charmglow from Home Depot. The Charmclow held 6 slabs.

edit because me wife remembered the name of the rack.

It was the Charmglow I was wondering about. I like how tall it is...the ribs fit all the way down in it.

I have 2 Weber racks which work fine for babybacks, but St Louis spares start to get a little tall for it and whole spares seem to fall all over the place in the Weber rack...not much different than laying them down. Might have to check out the Home Depot.

Looks great! I to have the rack from HD. Works pretty good on my little 18" WSM. I like how you sliced and then sauced using the tin pan. Definitely a great idea for parties. Thanks for sharing. Vince

Paul
That is something to definitley be proud of. I showed it to my work mates and now they are all dribbling from the corners of their mouths.

Well done Sir!

Regards

PaulK:

Incredible looking spread. Did you find any unevenness in doneness between all the racks and positions?

Did three BB racks on a weber rack on the top grate, 18" WSM no water, and was seeing some differences and was just curious.

I also have both the Charmglow and Weber racks; one each. The assembling/disassembling the Charmglow rack seems likely to be injury prone. I much prefer the Weber rack, but then again haven't done spares yet. Will probably hold out for something like Larry W's William-Sonoma rib racks -- they look incredible.

LOL...Dude that's awesome! I have to ask. My mouth started to water when I saw the sauce on those ribs. What sauce is that.

Originally posted by Paul Kastner:
I purchased this smoker just for these big occasions with the relatives.

You don't know me, but I'm one of your long lost relatives. You need to make sure you invite me to any future rib cooks. It'll be good to see you and the family!
icon_biggrin.gif

LOL...Dude that's awesome! I have to ask. My mouth started to water when I saw the sauce on those ribs. What sauce is that.

It is a local sauce called Maulls. It is a very neutral sauce with a tomato vinegar base. When I have that many people over I play safe with the rub and sauce. I also used Maulls Rub.
I was under pain of death if I used any heat.

Paul how much charcoal did you use ?

I filled the ring on the 22 3/4 full of Rancher. I used the minion method and placed the meat on the grill right after I dumped the starter coals. Vents wide open till temp got into the 220 range and shut them way down. Held my temp quite well until the rain
icon_mad.gif

You don't know me, but I'm one of your long lost relatives. You need to make sure you invite me to any future rib cooks. It'll be good to see you and the family!

Thank you that is nice to know I have northern relations. Thought most were in Napa Ca.

My sides were as follows, German coleslaw (Kastner's recipe) Potato Salad (Murphy side recipe) Potato casserole (wife's recipe)
Oven baked beans with fat back (father's recipe).

Incredible looking spread. Did you find any unevenness in doneness between all the racks and positions?

No the ribs were very even. I did switch top to bottom for about 45 mins.

I find it somewhat comforting to pay tribute to the parents and grandparents on holidays using these old passed down recipes from Ireland and Germany.

Wow, that is awesome! Well done on your cook. I really like using Apple wood my self. Good ol' Rancher's charcoal is great. I stil have about 13 bags left, back when it was on sale at Home Depot for $2.99 a back. Thanks for the pics.

Back