Oh, and don't forget to have a little fun...

Alan D

TVWBB Super Fan
I was reading Professor Wiviott's site on the WSM and ran across this quote:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">"VW is populated by engineers, there is
much emphasis on time charts, temperature,
ambient temp, etc. The 5-Step cares about
none of that, you start the fire, put in
the meat and leave it the hell
alone." Professor Wiviott</pre>

This quote is taken slightly out of context, and the entirety can be read here.

In many ways I have a tendency to over analyze things also, and there is a lot of truth to BBQ being about enjoying yourself, tossing a piece of meat on the coals that ends up tasting good, chattin' with friends, and tossin' some cold ones and enjoying one's self with others.

Perfection has a wide gambit of ranges in the 'que, even a piece of meat that is not considered perfect by others can bring smiles to the faces of friends and loved ones. That has always been the driving factor for me to 'que...maybe it's the reason I rarely cook in the kitchen, I like playing with fire I 'spose...but gas doesn't do it for me...it needs to be with hardwood lump, cooking meat over the coals...it's not rocket science after all, it's just an alternative way of cooking which existed before ovens and stoves.

TVWBB is a tremendous site, it has provided me a great deal of information on the WSM and other aspects of all things Weber, and I do really appreciate all the collective wisdom...but let us not forget to have fun, enjoy some times with friends, eating some 'que that you and those friends will remember...that is what the 'que is ultimately about for me...not to dis anyone on this site, just to point out that life is short, we should all enjoy it, and my Webers help me do that with my family and friends.

You will find that I am the type of person that will share with others, I will be the first to offer to fire up my 'que at a gathering, and I will be one of the first to spark up conversation...it's good to know all the details, I agonize over them just as much as anyone else being that I am an engineer, but in the end it's all about the smiles.
icon_smile.gif

I'm familiar with this quote from Gary, he's a good guy and used to frequent this bulletin board in the past.

I feel his criticism is off-base, but maybe it's just "tongue in cheek" criticism, I don't know.

The time charts have always been my way of demonstrating how the WSM maintains temp over time and how little effort is required to maintain those temps through vent settings.

Most people think cooker temp is important. That's why many of us add thermometers, and why Weber has finally given in and added them to their cookers. Caring about temp doesn't mean you are an engineer and doesn't diminish the fun in making barbecue. But it's fair to say that one should not be fixated on temp...you can successfully cook barbecue across a wide range of temps, so a few degrees here or there isn't going to hurt anything.

And for those just starting out with the WSM, I have created and posted some recipes that de-emphasize temperature control and instead focus on building a fire and cooking meat until tender. These are found at the top of the Cooking Topics page under the heading "Beginner Recipes".

In the end, it's all about having fun. Some people have fun with thermometers, some without, and some with automated temp devices. Whatever floats your boat, we try to support it here at TVWB.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Regards,
Chris

Chris, you offer something for everybody. Beginner to expert.

In the begiinnig I too obsessed over minute temp changes...no more.
I am comfortable with what this wonderful tool will do on its own. Yes I can justify one of those set and forget controllers. But, I did not buy one. They are probably best when you cook for a crowd and you need to hit a time deadline.

Once I understood the process and once I didn't obsess over a small temp range and once I got comfortable with the Piedmont Pan....I just let her go. 240-280 doesn't matter the temp. Could I get better more repeatable results watching more c;osely-probably. Would I enjoy it more -No.

You know...I'm even more impressed with this place. Since "VW is populated by engineers" you wouldn't think we would have time to post and share on this board considering we are all out there driving trains around...
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
I'm familiar with this quote from Gary, he's a good guy and used to frequent this bulletin board in the past. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My posting this thread was 2 fold.

On one hand, it is all about having fun at the end of the day for me, that was nothing to do with ProfW, whom I don't know. So true for him as well, he should have fun. He doesn't seem like he's having fun, in the way he's describing VW.

On the other hand I am an engineer, and do have access to the net, so use it. I've had my share of run-ins with folks that have a grudge towards engineers, and sure it's true that there's a lot of engineers online, it is those folks that helped get this thing working to begin with...at least the way I remember it. And the real reason that VW exists today is due to an engineer!
icon_wink.gif

I'm not sure I see too much tongue and cheek out of his attempt at humor, as I do possible jealousy...VW is clearly one of the best 'que sites, and certainly there is no finer WSM site. This site in itself is quite an accomplishment, good product aside, you have really done a good job at putting content together for the WSM, have provided rational reviews, and have some excellent videos...

I am one of those types that likes to play with thermometer, and I think the Stoker kicks big time, being able to connect to the web and all...this is the type of product that is able to innovate...to me that is fascinating, taking such a primitive form of cooking, the 'que, and being able to control it like that...and to be able to monitor it over the web?

Maybe I wanted to remind myself not to forget about using my 'ques rather than analyzing it too much, but I get good use out of my 'ques, it wasn't until recently that I even used a thermometer...I certainly didn't take his 5-step, I just dove in with a brisket. I did do a chicken, just to make sure the WSM would heat up, but I just tossed in more lump and threw a brisket on...I wonder, does that count as 2-steps? *lol*
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
Whatever floats your boat, we try to support it here at TVWB.
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And thanks for that!
icon_smile.gif

Actually I found the temp charts very comforting on my first overnight cook, the wealth of detailed knowledge here makes it very easy for me to now 'fire up and forget' when I do butts...like i'm going to do this weekend, so for that I thank all you guys.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sean S.:
Actually I found the temp charts very comforting on my first overnight cook, the wealth of detailed knowledge here makes it very easy for me to now 'fire up and forget' when I do butts...like i'm going to do this weekend, so for that I thank all you guys. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>No kidding. Without the info here I would have had serious concerns doing my first overnighter. I wouldn't have slept at all.

Instead, I slept like a champ.
icon_biggrin.gif

This site is all about fun..

fiddling with vents is FUN...
seeing the cause and effect of vent changes on temp is FUN...
making mods to the WSM is FUN
doing a minion start at 3 AM is FUN
tweaking recipes and cook styles and analyzing results is FUN
Sharing with everyone is FUN

The details Chris provides simply give beginners a comfort level to get started and help grow the passion of Barbeque worldwide!!! I'm surprised some people don't understand this

I have a lot more FUN in my life with this site than without it!

Thanks Chris!

My thoughts are the same as James. I "just have fun" doing all those things. I tried qing all my life, but until i discovered this board and the wsm, i wasn't really qing. Just a cheap ol
ECB and cheap grills i thought i was qing.
Thanks Chris, I have not found a cooking forum like this one, with all the experienced folks and willing to share. I just like to cook and share the food with family and friends. They think i'm a "Pit Master", but i'm a long way from that.

I'm sorry to "me too" but I gotta say that this site is mostly about about fun for me - fun with the WSM, food and LOTS of other stuff.

Nothing against Prof. Wivott, who obviously knows a thing or two about using a WSM, but I noticed his forum has a bit over 1200 posts. The "side Dishes" topic here has over 1500. And we have over 4000 registered members. So, where's the party? Also, I think that quote is really old - this site has expanded and become much more than an online instruction manual. It's a real community.

I don't know about the rest of you, but if I'm not BBQing, I like to be reading or talking about it. For me it's kinda releaxing (mentally),to some degree, I forget anything that's bothering me, when I'm BBQing. Theres something about the smoke. As mention, my family thinks I'm a PitMaster also, although I"m far from it. With all the help and info on this forum how can you go wrong. I've turned out some pretty good BBQ in my families eyes what's wrong with that ? Have fun and happy smoking !! John

Back