Oak score and seasoning questions...

Jason Wayne

TVWBB Fan
Driving home tonight, I noticed some freshly cut oak on the side of the road. They are building a new "community" about 2 miles from our home, so a little clearing was necessary for an entrance and a few really old oaks apparently lost the battle.

I stopped and grabbed 8 large 30-40 lb. chunks, I would say around 250 lbs all-together. This was like a frickin' omen because just last week I was complaining about how I could not find any place in town to buy oak, apple, or cherry (hickory overload in this area). We have wooded acreage, but I just don't feel comfortable cutting limbs off my wild cherrys.

So, my questions for you guys are: (1) how large do you think I should cut this stuff up, 2X2 chunks; (2) what is the best way to season it and (indoors or outdoors, etc); (3) how long should I season it?

I have often read about seasoning wood, but until now have simply bought it ready for smoking. Any help you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If you cut into chunks now (whatever size you prefer--2x2 is fine) then it will season much more quickly. You could do this with some of it, split some, leave the others large to split later. Inside, if relatively dry, will allow the wood to dry more quickly. Outside is fine, covered, but it takes longer. For small chunks, though, we're not talking a long time either way. A couple or three weeks, likely, depending on the moisture content of the wood when you cut it. Several weeks to a few months for split wood, depending on moisture content, how narrow the splits are, and ambient moisture in the spot they're put to season; several months or more for unsplit wood, depending on same.

Thanks a lot! I split up very little of it and that little bit was enough to fill a 30 lb. bag. I left it outside most of the week in the sun then moved it inside (and bagged it) when the rain started this weekend.

I think I will wait to split the remaining couple of hundred pounds to keep it from getting too old - it does get too old at some point, right? I thought I read that somewhere, if I am wrong then thanks for telling me otherwise.

Thanks again!

i would be weary of bagging it if it isn't fully dried out. it could cause mold buildup. if it's indoors there is really no need to bag/cover it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony C.:
i would be weary of bagging it if it isn't fully dried out. it could cause mold buildup. if it's indoors there is really no need to bag/cover it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yikes, I didn't even think about that - I need to check it b/c the cherry that we found was immediately placed in bags that day. We left the oak outside for a few days before bagging, but I will check that too.

Thanks Tony!

You'd be surprised how much moisture green wood retains. I trimmed one of my red oaks a few months ago and noticed one of the pieces I had kept that was on the wood pile had sprouted leaves!

Back