Oak question

Bob T.

TVWBB Wizard
There is a furniture maker that has a lot of oak leftovers/scraps that gives it away near me. I would think this kiln dried oak would be good to use. I figure most of it is only 3/8-1/2" thick. I'll have to go check it out. Anyone else ever use this free way of getting oak?

Hi Bob
I like to use wood with bark on it, and I like to know everywhere it has been. There might not be anything wrong with that oak, it may have been treated, it might have been bug sprayed in a warehouse. If I had no other source for wood I would certainly let it burn a bit before assembling the BBQ.

I wondered if they sprayed it with anything or not. That was my big fear. I thought they might "treat" it with something before the dried it. I have no problems finding wood to use, I think I'll stay away from this. I have tried many different woods so far, but oak is the one I havent tried yet lol.
I have lot's of State owned land around here, and I can walk and pick up fallen trees/limbs, but I can't cut anything down. I need to figure out what a sugar maple looks like so I can grab that. I love sugar maple. Hickory isn't an issue either.
To bad I don't have pecan, love that also.

Bob
You are right worry about if has been treated or not, the other thing to consider is that kiln dried wood is drier than we are looking for to be considered prime wood for smoke.
If the wood is not treated it can be used safely but it won't have as much flavor as non kiln dried material.
Jim

Thanks Troops!
I've been told Chris that there is plenty of Sugar Maple around here, so I guess I'll have to go hiking. I need to get some more fruit wood also. Never to early to plan for fll/winter next year lol.

Back