Oak for smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you live in Vancouver BC and can't find any Oak Wood, then maybe you should try looking out the window. You are surrounded by Oak wood.
Keith

Robb,

You might try looking for anyone that sells firewood, or tree trimming services. You may be able to get a piece or two for free.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks for pointing out the obvious Keith. Of course we have oak trees in Vancouver. We also have laws preventing us from cutting them that's why I used the word PURCHASE in my post. I have tried the tree cutting services but haven't been able to locate any oak through them. Fortunately Dave might be able to get me some.

Robb.....

Go to your local golf courses. They will have lots of fallen branches and I have yet to be turned away by them. Wait for the first major Spring wind storm and they will have truckloads of it.

Keep in mind, you only need finger sized branches, so you don't have to cut down the whole thing. Another advantage to using small branches is no need to saw and chop into fist sized chunks.

For what it's worth, I used small branches for years...I just refuse to pay money for something that is so darn abundant throughout the country.

Robb,

Believe it or not, I have found discarded pallets that are made of Oak.

Stores that sell heavy machinery may have some out back (ask if you can have one).

Obviously store-bought wood is ideal, but if you're desperate and Oak is hard to find in your area - poke around for an oak pallet. Break it down and give it a try. -Albert

Of course you can always buy it through one of the purveyors of different kinds of wood on the internet.

I would not use wood from a pallet for smokewood, even if I was sure it was oak. God knows what may have been spilled on it over its lifetime, let alone if it might have been treated with any type of preservative.

Another thought: Today at a grocery, I saw small bundles of oak firewood-- 4-5 approximately 18" long quarter-logs for about $3.

Robb,

I often use oak molding (moulding, if in Canada) trim pieces. I own a construction company so its easy to come by. If you know someone who builds cabinets or does finish work ask them for their trimmings. Do not use any trim pieces that have had any stain, sealer or other chemicals applied. You could also visit your local builder supply store and buy a 3/4" x 6" Red Oak board, cut into whatever lengths you prefer and smoke away.

Shannon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back