NY Style Pizza Dough

1 cup of flour = approx. 3 oz

Actually, the weight of a cup of flour can vary a huge amount, depending how you scoop it, how you level it, how accurate your cup is, and depending on the flour itself. Even a small deviation can alter the results a lot since it would throw Bryan's carefully selected 62% hydration rate out the window, so that is why bakers go by weight.

I knew when I posted that that I was going to get bounced for it
icon_smile.gif
. I agree with you whole-heartedly. I took all the flours out of my cabinet the other day to find out what each weighed by "cup" and they were all over the place.

That being said, for most baking recipes that call for a cup of flour, rather than a weight, I would think that 3 oz would suffice, imho. On recipes where it matters, they have weights anyway, or should.

Originally posted by A.D.Letson:
Bryan,
Is this a dough that needs a "rim" put around the outside? And, if so, how do I do that? Thanks!
I put one on the crust but you really don't have to. Are you going to stretch it out by hand or rolling pin? If the later you won't get a rim but it'll still be good. I take the dough ball out of the container and flour it on the bottom side very lightly and place it on the counter. Flateen the dough out some and then using your finger tips just make a rim about 1/2-3/4" in from the edge working around the dough ball. After you have that done pick it up and stretch it out being carefull not to stretch out the rim too much andwork it to the desired size. It's hard to explain, need to get that video done.
icon_redface.gif

Thanks for all the help Bryan. Tomorrow's pizza may or may not be good, but it won't be because of a lack of information.
icon_smile.gif
I will be doing it by hand. Because you have talked about videos and you need to see it, I got on Youtube and I think I've got an idea of what I'm supposed to do. Flatten it on counter, hold by rim to let gravity stretch, and then use to knuckles to stretch last.

Originally posted by A.D.Letson:
Flatten it on counter, hold by rim to let gravity stretch, and then use to knuckles to stretch last.
Yep, That's it. I need to make up some dough balls and get my Stepdaughter to shoot the video instead of trying to splain it. It's easier to grasp seeing it done. Well anyway good luck. Hope it turns out good for you.
icon_smile.gif

Made pizza dough with 1/4 wheat flour and two Tablespoons of italian seasoning. My wife thoroughly enjoyed the crust. I, on the other hand , am still searching for the N.Y. Style crust and taste that I remember from back east.Pizza had too much grease . I think I'll cut back on the pepperoni and sausage next time. May add some onion and garlic powder next time. Very pretty crust when cooked. Moderately thick end crust. Kind of like it bigger myself. Cooked on the stones at around 525

Wanted to report back about my pizza making over the weekend. The first thing that I found is that pizza dough is not as easy to handle as some make it look.
icon_smile.gif
Of all the things I have done cooking, I am not sure that any have frustrated me as much as trying to get that dough into a round (yeah right) and thin form. Other than that, everything seemed to go well.

I took the dough straight from the fridge and cut it to 12.5 oz as the pizza stone that I had to borrow was smaller than 16 inches. I began to work with it immediately because I figured I would rather have dough that was more difficult to stretch than warm dough that would stretch too easily. I did like I had seen in videos, been told, etc. and it worked...kinda. Will take some practice.

Anyway, I got it stretched and covered my peel with corn meal and put the dough on the peel and dressed with Pizza Hut sauce (wasn't brave enough to do everything homemade the first time), Bel Gioso mozzarella cheese, and Hormel Pepperoni. Heated the oven on broil for 10 minutes then down to 550 for 20 minutes. Almost destroyed the pizza trying to get it on the peel (how do you do that with a larger pizza????) and finally got it on there without burning any appendages too severely (oven rack at 550 degrees is really hot, let me tell you.)

The pizza stone was on the lowest rack next to the burner so the crust got a little bit over done before the toppings were done but it was really good. Anyone that is teetering over whether or not to try this should definitely take the plunge. After eating the homemade pizza a total of three times over the weekend and then trying a bite of Dominos today, it is a different world. The homemade dough was crunchy on the bottom but had a full, rich taste and chewy crumb and the rim had about an inch of oven spring. The cheese and pepperoni left something to be desired, but overall, after moving the pizza stone higher and getting a more evenly cooked crust, my wife and I agreed that this has taken the place of our favorite pizza. And, for all the trouble, the return on investment with this is awesome. This recipe took little to no work and turned a good result the first time I tried it. Thanks a bunch Bryan S. You have made a believer out of me. Spending $15 for a pizza out is history.

P.S. I took a couple pictures and hope to have them up tomorrow.

P.P.S. Bryan, please get that video on dough stretching done because I am struggling.
icon_wink.gif
I made pizza 3 times this weekend and I think it got uglier each time.

Once you get the hang of it, turning a dough ball into a pizza goes pretty fast. Its hard to describe, so that video will be your best instruction. As a teenager, I worked in a pizza restaurant and learned how to "throw" a pizza. One bit of advice, do this outside by the BBQ. Flour will fly. Better on the patio than in the kitchen.

John, good advice. Also, if you decide to do indoors make sure you are away from the ceiling fan and it is off. Don't ask
icon_rolleyes.gif

First try at a modified version of this, using the bread machine for the hard part...

Dumb questions : Do you put each ball in a separate container for the ferment ? How much should I expect it to rise/"double" ?

Thanks !

Dean....

Dean, yes seperate container just because you don't want to work the dough before stretching it. If you want to do one ball then you would seperate it into 2 about 24 hrs before making the pizza to allow the dough to relax again. It hardly rises at all, with the cold ferment.

Originally posted by Bryan S:
Dean, yes seperate container just because you don't want to work the dough before stretching it. If you want to do one ball then you would seperate it into 2 about 24 hrs before making the pizza to allow the dough to relax again. It hardly rises at all, with the cold ferment.

Thanks, Bryan ! Your "support" for this thread is appreciated ! I love a good pizza, so I look forward to seeing what these taste like.

I had put my dough into 1 container, and it had expanded...enough to fill the container ! That's why I asked...

If you can tolerate another question : the dough seemed kinda dry...did a hand knead after the machine got done with it, but still had "wrinkles" and cracks. Should it be smooth when you put it in the fridge ?

I don't have the scale or the screens (yet !), and I'm not into baking, so I'm flying by the seat of my pants ! As others have said....hey, it's only flour, etc....if it sucks, I'll throw it out and start over again ! Not like I bought an expensive rib roast or anything !

Thanks again !

Dean....

Originally posted by D Larsen:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:

I had put my dough into 1 container, and it had expanded...enough to fill the container ! That's why I asked...

If you can tolerate another question : the dough seemed kinda dry...did a hand knead after the machine got done with it, but still had "wrinkles" and cracks. Should it be smooth when you put it in the fridge ?

I don't have the scale or the screens (yet !), and I'm not into baking, so I'm flying by the seat of my pants ! As others have said....hey, it's only flour, etc....if it sucks, I'll throw it out and start over again ! Not like I bought an expensive rib roast or anything !

Thanks again !

Dean.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah the bread machine prob got the dough pretty warm that's why all the rising. It should be smooth and somewhat sticky. Just sticky enough to get a little bit stuck to your hand but for the most part it releases from your hand, not like your whole hand gets covered in wet gooey dough. You can reknead it if it's outgrowing the container. Make sure to get all the air out but with minimal kneading. The more you work it the more heat you get and the more it will rise. HTH

Bryan,

Yeah, I was getting condensation on the lid of the bread machine, so I figured there was "heat" going on....I kept adding water, a TBS at a time, cause it just didn't "look right", although, as I said, I don't know what "right" is ! Sounds like I needed to keep going with the water, 'cause my dough is dryer than what you describe.

Well, I'll carry this experiment on and see what happens ! I can tell you, it SMELLS great !!!

Dean...

Made a dough the other day with some wheat flour in it. Decided to spice it up and added 1T italian seasoning, 1T garlic and 1T onion powder. Everything went together great . I hand kneaded for 8 minutes put dough in frig for 4 days. Took the dough out and started to stretch. It completely fell apart in my hands. I have since found out that too much onion powder is not a good thing. Back to the drawing board.

Originally posted by paul h:
Made a dough the other day with some wheat flour in it. Decided to spice it up and added 1T italian seasoning, 1T garlic and 1T onion powder. Everything went together great . I hand kneaded for 8 minutes put dough in frig for 4 days. Took the dough out and started to stretch. It completely fell apart in my hands. I have since found out that too much onion powder is not a good thing. Back to the drawing board.
Paul, 4 days with all that powder was prob the problem. If you want to use onion, and or garlic powder, I think you'll need to only do a 1 or 2 day cold ferment with it. If that doesn't work cut the powder amount in 1/2 and go from there.

Bryan, will try cutting back on the amounts. From the smell of the dough I'd say way too much garlic anyway. Another question, if I wanted to go longer on the cold ferment could I add a little sugar? Also, email me off line . Thanks

Originally posted by paul h:
Bryan, will try cutting back on the amounts. From the smell of the dough I'd say way too much garlic anyway. Another question, if I wanted to go longer on the cold ferment could I add a little sugar? Also, email me off line . Thanks
Oh boy! See yeast multiply as long as there is food. The more yeast you start out with the faster they go to a certain point, then, well they are canibals, so you know what happens when the food runs out. So if you wanted to go longer you'll need to give them a little extra food but it's a double edge sword. The more food they have the faster they multiply so how much longer do you want to go?

Back