NY Style Pizza Dough

Originally posted by Jeff S:
I am going to ask a stupid question here, What are the measurements for the recipe? Is there a cup measurment for the water and flower?
You could try to go by volume, but by weight is always best in baking. A cup of packed flour is a lot more flour than a cup of sifted. Even scooping flour out of a container will yield more, by weight, than pouring it into the same scoop. Consistency is the key to success, and measuring by weight is your best insurance. You can get a digital kitchen scale that's accurate to 1/8 oz. for under $50, and it's worth every penny if you want repeatable results.

Originally posted by Doug D:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff S:
I am going to ask a stupid question here, What are the measurements for the recipe? Is there a cup measurment for the water and flower?
You could try to go by volume, but by weight is always best in baking. A cup of packed flour is a lot more flour than a cup of sifted. Even scooping flour out of a container will yield more, by weight, than pouring it into the same scoop. Consistency is the key to success, and measuring by weight is your best insurance. You can get a digital kitchen scale that's accurate to 1/8 oz. for under $50, and it's worth every penny if you want repeatable results. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
DITTO!
Jeff, I bought all 3 of my scales from here. I use them all the time. Esp with large amounts of burger and such from shopping at BJ's. I always use a scale for pizza dough and bread making. You'll use one more than you think. Here's a good one at a decent price. Food scale link

Thanks, guys. I will check these out. I could not wait, though, I made the dough last night. It is in the fridge now. I am hunting down a screen now so I can have pizze this weekend!

Made my second batch from this recipe/technique this morning. I only have a cheap Taylor scale I got on closeout at Wally World for 5 bucks. Probably not the most accurate scale around, but still has to be better than working with cups for measure. Worked pretty well for my first dough. I plan to use today's dough this Saturday night. Will not be a very long ferment in the fridge, but it is not kept as cold as Bryan's beer fridge. Will see how it works out on the four day plan.

Bryan, I have to thank you for getting this pizza thread moving. Pizza is just sooooo good when you have a good crust. You have managed to get the story out! Great work.

For many years I baked bread just going by feel on the amount of flour to add, then adjusting while kneading. I did it that way because that's how my mother taught me, bless her heart. I got good results most of the time, but maybe one batch out of 7 or 8 didn't quite turn out the way I wanted.

Since getting a good scale and measuring weight meticulously, I've gotten much more consistent bread results, plus I'm much better at experimenting because it is now quite easy to hold all variables except one or two constant. When you aren't weighing ingredients, you are constantly varying many variables a little bit, even if you think you are following the same recipe.

Bread baking is very formulaic, much different than most cooking, although brining and curing is somewhat similar. I have an excel spreadsheet for my bread experiments where I enter all the variables, how many grams of total flour, the hydration rate, what percent of whole wheat, what percent AP flour, what percent of the dough to be in the starter/poolish/soaker, what percent salt, etc. The spreadsheet then kicks out the grams for each portion.

Just made this recipe and it is in the fridge for an 11 day ferment (used 1/2 tsp yeast). This is my first pizza dough so we'll see how this goes.

Originally posted by Bryan S:
This is for my NY style pies.
Here's my recipe for 2 - 20 oz balls for 2 - 16" pies or 4 10 oz balls for 4 - 12" pies.

Ceresota AP Flour (100%) 24.56 oz
Water (62%) 15.22 oz
IDY (0.33%) 0.76 tsp.
Salt (2%) 2.5 tsp.

For the AP flour look for Heckers/Ceresota, Robin Hood, or King Arthur AP flour. I use a Kitchenaid Pro 600 stand mixer for my pizza dough, here's the process.
Put the water in the bowl and add the salt, strir to dissolve. Add the yeast and the sifted flour and mix with the spiral dough hook on speed 2 just till it comes together, less than 2 min. I then let it sit for 15 min and then add oil (if using it) do a final knead on speed 2 for 4-5 min. I then weigh out the dough balls to 20 oz hand knead in to a smooth ball, oil and place in a gladeware round container and in to the beer fridge (34-36 degrees) it goes for the cold ferment. I get very little rise in the fridge with my dough. Let it cold ferment in the back of the fridge for 5-14 days. I cook on a pizza screen at 550 degrees (15 min preheat) on the middle rack for 8-9 minutes. I rotate the pie 180 after 5 1/2 min. Then just eyeball it for done. I go by color, I hate under cooked pizza's.
icon_mad.gif

EDIT: If you want to go long on the cold ferment, 8-14 days cut the IDY yeast back to 1/2 tsp. With the AP flour and no oil this makes a nice chewy crust. You can add oil if you want just remove a TBS of water and replace with regular Olive oil, not extra virgin. I use Regular Bertolli Classico 100% Pure Olive Oil gold & red label, bought at BJ's for a good price. It's like $25.00 for a 5 liter jug. This is really good olive oil. For extra virgin I use Morea. But I don't use that in my pizza dough.

Bryan:
Crust was DELICIOUS! My jaws are aching it was so chewy! I loved it. It will be better when I get my scale. I had a hard time streching it without getting a hole. It ended up between 12-13 inches. This is a keeper.
Thanks!

Tried a new recipe yesterday. Will, post the ingredients if it turns out ok on Thursday night. Used combination wheat and regular flour. Mixed it with a stand mixer and finished kneading it by hand. I really enjoyed feeling the dough as I was doing this. Question: with all things equal will a dough turn out lighter and more bread like if you let it rise , punch down and let it rise again rather than letting it cold ferment????

Originally posted by paul h:
Question: with all things equal will a dough turn out lighter and more bread like if you let it rise , punch down and let it rise again rather than letting it cold ferment????
Paul, As far as my tastes go yes. I don't like the quick rise because of the bread like taste of the crust. It's fine when I'm making my butter crust pan pizza dough or just regular pan pizza dough, overnight/24 hr ferment in the fridge. I just don't like that taste for NY style dough/crust.

Bryan,

Just wanted to make sure I have all the steps left for this pizza down. Take the dough balls out, let them come to whatever temp I am most comfortable with, stretch and put on screen and bake. Am I missing anything?

Originally posted by A.D.Letson:
Bryan,

Just wanted to make sure I have all the steps left for this pizza down. Take the dough balls out, let them come to whatever temp I am most comfortable with, stretch and put on screen and bake. Am I missing anything?
A.D. Yep that's it, and sauce, cheese and some roni.
icon_biggrin.gif
Also bake it as hot as your oven will go. Give it a 180 spin after 4-5 min then keep an eye on it. They tend to finish fast in my oven. Oven placement might be hit or miss the first time or two, unless you already have made homemade pies before. Good luck, hope it turns out great for you.
icon_smile.gif

Reading the pizza forum scares me a little bit
icon_smile.gif
. I just thought that cooking was a challenge before I started looking into how to make pizza! Thanks for having a well described recipe.

Are you willing to divulge what you use for sauce on your pies? And I have seen that you are a pepperoni connoisseur. Any recommendations?

Originally posted by A.D.Letson:

Are you willing to divulge what you use for sauce on your pies? And I have seen that you are a pepperoni connoisseur. Any recommendations?
A.D. For the sauce I love this local PA pizza sauce Delgrosso pizza sauce. . I have tried all 3 and the roni is my least favorite. The NY Style IMO is perfect and use that for my NY Style pies. The Supreme goes on all my pan pizzas. As far as roni goes yes I love the stuff. It goes on about 95% of my pies. As far as the brand goes, the best to me I have found so far is Ezzo roni made in Ohio. I buy this one here.

Ok,I tried my pizza dough on Thursday. It had sat in the frig since Monday. It was really good . I changed the recipe and I'm open for comments or suggestions. I used Gold Medal flour. It said was for bread machines. I thought it might be a little on the low side with protein so I added 2 tsp of Wheat Gluten. I cut back on the regular flour and added whole wheat flour. The results were really good. The dough tasted not bread like but more like a pizza should. Crust had a nice color from the whole wheat flour. It had great extensibility. This baby stretched out to 18" with ease. Cooked it at about 515. The dough didn't have a real big end crust but it was decent. I would like it to have had more chewiness like a real NY style pizza. Any ideas. here is the recipe.

13.32 oz- regular flour
2.0 oz- whole wheat flour
9.65 oz- warm water
.45 tsp-IDY
1.36 tsp-noniodized salt(sea salt)
.97 tsp-oil
I added the flours and salt together. Put the IDY in the warm water, let it sit for a minute or so until I saw it bubbling and added it slowly to the dry stuff. I used a stand mixer. When it was all combined I kneaded it by hand for 5 minutes. This was the best part of the whole process beside eating it. Really got to feel the dough. Hey Bryan, my retirement was official as of last Friday. My head is still spinning.

Paul,

I'm a novice when it comes to pizza dough; still experimenting with my own pizzas. I may be wrong, but I thought I read that eliminating the oil and kneading the dough longer will make it chewier. Pizza gurus, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Did your dough yield 1 or 2 pies? I'm still at the measuring stage; no scales. Approximately what does 15.32 oz of flour measure out too (3-4 cups?) 18" is a good size pie.

Paul, It gave me enough dough for one pie. There are 8ounces in a cup so it's almost two cups of flour. I'm a novice too when it comes to pizza dough. When I find the right combo I'll make a bigger batch and freeze some. Maybe I have to knead it more than five minutes. The dough sure was tasty. It baked up to a nice golden brown. If you find a combo you like, use the Lehman calculator to make the size pie you desire. This calculator is amazing. It adjusts all your ingredients to make that size pie.

I've been reading this post with great interest over the last couple weeks. Some of the weights are carried out to 1/100's of an oz. What scale is used for this or can it just be close.

Originally posted by Jim Swalwell:
I've been reading this post with great interest over the last couple weeks. Some of the weights are carried out to 1/100's of an oz. What scale is used for this or can it just be close.
Jim, just make it close. Here's how I do it.
Ceresota AP Flour (100%) 24.56 oz = 24.55
Water (62%) 15.22 oz = 15.20
IDY (0.33%) 0.76 tsp. = 3/4 tsp

Back