NY Style Pizza Dough

I have frozen cinnamon bun dough and it works perfectly fine, but I put about 17% butter/lard in that dough (as percent of flour weight), which may help with the freezing.

I would guess that it would work fine. Just give it a couple of days to thaw in the frig.

Originally posted by David Lohrentz:
I have frozen cinnamon bun dough and it works perfectly fine, but I put about 17% butter/lard in that dough (as percent of flour weight), which may help with the freezing.

I would guess that it would work fine. Just give it a couple of days to thaw in the frig.
Maybe, but my dough uses very little yeast and they do get killed off in the freezer. That said they would prob survive a short stint in there. You'll have to degass and form into a tight ball. You just can't leave it in a bowl in the fridge for 7 days and then just chuck the bowl in the freezer. Punch down and form it into a tight ball, coat with some oil then place in a zip bag, with as much air as you can get out as possible and freeze. Thaw out as David mentions, in the fridge for a day or 2, Good luck.
icon_wink.gif

Ok,made the pizza last night. Took it cold from the frig. Stretched it and put on a screen. Put it in a preheated 500 degree oven on pizza bricks. Crust was tasty but the middle stuck to the screen. I forgot to spray it before hand. This was a five day old dough. I think it would have been really good if the crust didn't stick . With the next dough I'll put the pizza on the first rack ABOVE the bricks and see if that helps. Bryan,really good recipe. The sauce you sent added a nice flavor. My wife loved the crust. She ate it all!!!

Originally posted by paul h:
but the middle stuck to the screen. I forgot to spray it before hand. This was a five day old dough. I think it would have been really good if the crust didn't stick . With the next dough I'll put the pizza on the first rack ABOVE the bricks and see if that helps. Bryan,really good recipe. The sauce you sent added a nice flavor. My wife loved the crust. She ate it all!!!
Paul, Glad you liked it. Not sure if I ever posted about using a screen here on TVWBB, prob was over on the pizza forum. I sprayed mine the first time I used it and that was it. Never wash it for one. But the single biggest thing to remember when using a screen is not to push down on the dough at all. Once that dough falls into them little diamonds in the screen it's all over. This usually happens when putting on the sauce with a spoon. You tend to push a little too hard and it'll stick everytime. Just be gentle when spooning on the sauce and all should be well. Don't ask me how I know I just know.
icon_redface.gif
I tried all placements in my oven and one knotch above the middle rack position works best for my oven. I cook at 550 for 5 min and give it a 180 spin. Cook for another 2.5-3 min and it's done.
Happy No more work for you Paul. Enjoy your retirement you luck dog.
icon_cool.gif

Bryan, I'm slapping my forehead"why didn't I think of that". Pushing down with the spoon when adding my sauce DUHHH!!. My wife has been telling me to prebake the dough first. Of course you know I didn't listen.
icon_wink.gif
This would also prevent the sticking.right??? Will try the second dough this Friday. I let it sit an additional 2 days in the frig then froze it.

Success, more or less. I was pleased with the results of my first attempt with this recipe. Made a very good pizza on day 7 and a better one on day 8. I learned from the first one and made the second better. I definitely need to acquire a pizza screen. I have a perforated pan, but it does not allow the bottom of the crust to crisp well before the top of the pizza is done. Still made a far better pizza at home than available from the big chains. Thanks for the post Bryan.

I don't think prebaking is a good idea. Your crust will get overdone before the topping is ready, unless you are doing a minimalist approach with the topping and/or using only things like sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil which take less time than NY style crust.

I don't think prebaking is a good idea.
David, I've been prebaking for some time now. I've found that to get the crust as crispy as I like it, I need to prebake (about 5 mins). If I don't, my cheese gets very brown before the crust is ready. I generally crank up the oven to 475-500 and use a screen. I've thought about this, and realize most don't prebake. Could it be my dough that needs tweaking?

Paul, You need to change your oven placement of the pizza. If the top is getting done before the bottom you need to move it down. If the bottom of the crust is getting done before the top you would move it up. Also 475-500 is a little low for cooking pizza. I do all mine at 550. HTH

Bryan, I'll give that a try - thanks.
550!!
icon_eek.gif
I don't know if the old gal can handle it! Maybe I'll toss in a chimney of burning lump
icon_biggrin.gif
!

Originally posted by Paul K:
Bryan, I'll give that a try - thanks.
550!!
icon_eek.gif
I don't know if the old gal can handle it! Maybe I'll toss in a chimney of burning lump
icon_biggrin.gif
!
Paul, and others. What happens when you cook at a lower temp is the crust dries out. The longer it takes to cook the pie, the more moisture you lose out of the crust. Also if using a screen, just place the screen with the pizza on it, on the wire oven rack. Not ontop of stones, bricks, or............. With the screen you want good air circulation for a nice crispy crust.
icon_wink.gif

Bryan,

Moved the pizza lower and cranked up the temp. Pizza came out fantastic! Thanks for the tips.

Paul

Originally posted by Paul K:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Paul, No prebake I take it?
Nope, we don't need no stinkin' prebake no more
icon_biggrin.gif
! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Way
icon_cool.gif
Glad to hear it.

Well, cooked my second pizza dough. Dough was tasty, a little on the salty side but good. Took it directly from the fridge after thawing. Dough was thin and started to tear. I think I found out some of my sticking to the screen problem. The sauce permeated right through the dough. Maybe I use too much sauce??? I should have coated the crust with olive oil to prevent that but forgot. Cooked at 525 on the rack above the pizza brick.Back to the drawing board. One other question. If I wanted a dough of a particular size and I'm trying to find how much the dough ball should weigh, could some one explain the Pi x r x r formula?????

I am going to ask a stupid question here, What are the measurements for the recipe? Is there a cup measurment for the water and flower?

Back