1 1/2 cups of Mayonnaise
3 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1 Tablespoon Salt or salt to your taste
2 Teaspoons of Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
3 Tablespoons dried Italian parsley
6 sliced hard boiled eggs

Wash potatoes and cut them into coins (not thin, and not too thick)
Place them in a large pot of water
Salt the water to your liking
Bring to a boil, a slow boil, for about 20-24 minutes
Test your thicker coins for them just being fork tender. DO NOT OVER COOK
Drain the hot water, and concurrently add cold water to stop the cooking process.
Strain and drain the potatoes once cooked and let dry, around 10 minutes should be enough.

In a large work bowl, add all ingredients except the sliced eggs and cooked potatoes.
Once will mixed, fold in your cooled potato coins. Gently incorporate the sauce across all the potatoes.
Add in the sliced hard boiled eggs.
Gently fold in the eggs with 4-5 folds. Don’t over mix the eggs as you want to retain some of their shape.
This dish can be served the same day. But fridging overnight will result in better flavors and taste the next day.

Very close to what I do. But I do one thing different. I like to use 1/3 to 1/2 sour cream to mayo. Really mellows the mayo taste not to mention the calorie drop for us older folks. SC is 23 calories per tablespoon and Mayonnaise is close to 100/tablespoon.

Very close to what I do. But I do one thing different. I like to use 1/3 to 1/2 sour cream to mayo. Really mellows the mayo taste not to mention the calorie drop for us older folks. SC is 23 calories per tablespoon and Mayonnaise is close to 100/tablespoon.
All good points. You can use less mayo in the recipe, for sure. The 3# of red tots slices is a lot of tots tho. And the vinegar does this the mayo.

Once you fridge it overnight the mayo will firn up so less mayo will still work.

The main reason sour cream isn’t used in this recipe is that “delis” in NY used to be kosher. And in kosher cooking they don’t mix meat and dairy, as in a pastrami sando with sour cream potato salad. Thus the all mayo recipe.

Another version I make has minced celery in it too. I just want this one with the sliced eggs version.

This version is a safe summertime recipe as it can withstand summer heat without dairy in it.

Back