Nu-Temp Owners - New Caution for Testing Your Probes

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
My original email concerned using the high-temperature probe to check the oil for deep-frying. David Link’s reply was never to immerse the probe tip or wire end in either water or oil. He kindly mailed me a new copy of the Nu-Temp 701 instruction sheet, which includes a new set of cautions (below). I couldn’t find those cautions anywhere on their website (http://www.nu-temp.com) . For the instruction sheet, click on Support/ Product Instructions, or http://www.nu-temp.com/tech/701.pdf .

His reply, when I asked how we could test the accuracy of the probes:

“Regarding the testing, the best way is to compare the temps to another trusted thermometer. The only thing to be concerned with is to locate a thermometer with a probe, and then wrap the probe sensor-tips together to ensure consistency at the specific point of reference (location of sensor-tips). Regarding probe differences, all stainless steel probe sensor-tips (we've tried approx. 6 different manufacturing plants in China) are pressed together and glued. Moreover, the probes are calibrated to ± 1 degrees through the cooking range (140 - 190 degrees), but to design it to be that accurate, the lower and higher temps fall out of that exact calibration, including at boiling temp. Anything further, please let us know. Thank you, David Link”

Caution!
1. DO NOT PLACE PROBE IN WATER OR OIL.
2. HAND WASH, MAKING SURE TO AVOID IMMERSING EITHER PROBE END IN LIQUID.
3. DO NOT USE OR EXPOSE THE PROBE AND WIRE TO TEMPERATURES ABOVE 392ºF.
4. RUN PROBE WIRE TO LEAVE THE SMALLEST AMOUNT OF WIRE INSIDE OF COOKING CHAMBER.
5. DO NOT SUBMERGE WIRE IN WATER, OIL, OR OTHER LIQUIDS FOR ANY REASON.
6. HANDLE HOT PROBES WITH HEAT-RESISTANT GLOVES TO AVOID INJURY.
7. KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN.
8. DO NOT USE THE PROBE IN A MICROWAVE OVEN.

Oooop's. Guess I shouldn't test them aNYMORE LOL. good thing I only did it to one of them and it still seems ok. Thanks for the info, but I don't remember seeing this on my instructions. Could have been there, I just don't remember it.
icon_eek.gif

Bob, I tested all my probes in boiling water! Guess I lucked out - they seem to be fine so far.

Mr. Link mentioned that the cautions were new on the new instruction sheets.

Most of my numerous probes, NuTemp, Maverick, Sumbeam and other Polder look-alikes, have been repeatedly tested in boiling water and somewhat immersed (what do you call sticking in a juicy piece of meat?)

I suspect that the "new" warnings are to protect the manufacturer from idiots and reduce warranty expense.

Well they probably say that cause too many people were probably getting water in where the wire goes into the probe which ruins the probe. I just threw one out cause i dropped it into a sink full of water. It slipped out of my hand and it was all over for the probe. I keep spares on hand but it still sucks when that happens.
icon_mad.gif

Caution!
1. DO NOT PLACE PROBE IN WATER OR OIL.
2. HAND WASH, MAKING SURE TO AVOID IMMERSING EITHER PROBE END IN LIQUID.
That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long time. So I guess you can't stick the probe into any piece of meat, 'cause it's mainly composed of water.
icon_confused.gif

I will take care to not drop the entire probe and cable assembly into a sinkful of water, and when washing by hand, I will take care to not get water into the connection where cable meets probe. But I will stick my probes into liquids to measure temps, including to test my probe for accuracy.

Regards,
Chris

After going through 3 probes pretty quickly I can say these warnings make sense. I was pretty unimpressed with how quickly I tore through the probes. I never did the boil test but they did sit in my sink waiting for me to wash them. After about 2 months of use crusty white stuff was coming out of the wires. Then a month later the temps started out at 100 on a 50 degree day. Then 2 weeks later it would error out the display. I really like the Nutemp but I don't like how fragile the probes are.

I'm guessing that if they were sitting in your sink, they were exposed to water where the wire goes into the probe. Just putting the point of the probe into water should never be a problem but getting water in where the wire connects to the probe has always been listed as a no no.

Originally posted by Bill W.:
After going through 3 probes pretty quickly I can say these warnings make sense. I was pretty unimpressed with how quickly I tore through the probes. I never did the boil test but they did sit in my sink waiting for me to wash them. After about 2 months of use crusty white stuff was coming out of the wires. Then a month later the temps started out at 100 on a 50 degree day. Then 2 weeks later it would error out the display. I really like the Nutemp but I don't like how fragile the probes are.
Never ever immerse the probe and wire into water. Where the wire goes into the probe must not get any water in there. Hand wash just the probe making sure no water gets near where the wire enters/connects to the probe.
icon_eek.gif

well, ill emial david again and see whats up with that huh hum link......neways...keep your eyes open for new promo for nutemp...keep lookin in just conversation.......

Back