Now My First Overnight Cook (Mother's Day)

Bob Ivey

TVWBB Emerald Member
This is something that takes practice but is quite rewarding. We decided to do mother's day on Saturday since everyone could be there. Had to honor my wife, my oldest daughter, my mother-in-law, and my sister-in-law. Besides the prep work to get all supplies together, I started trimming and seasoning the meat early Thursday afternoon (three urgent service calls in the morning) and started the cook at 10:00 on Friday night. Didn't get much sleep of course. I cooked a whole brisket and two 7.5lb pork butts. Seasoned with rub on the brisket and the butts got coated with mustard and then rub. Foiled all meat when they got to 165* about 3AM. Meat came off the WSM at about 11:00 on Saturday morning and went into the cooler until about 4PM on Saturday.

Everyone raved about the meal. I thought is was interesting that some loved the brisket and some loved the pulled pork. My wife loved the pork and thought the brisket was dry. I was very happy with both meats.

One thing that the lack of sleep did was to make me think about getting an ATC sometime in the future. One thing I was very happy about was that from the beginning I have not had any major temperature issues. With just a little tweaking I was able to maintain a pretty consistent 235* give or take all night. I just don't like loosing that much sleep and only being able to cat nap.

IMG_20130511_044040_360.jpg

074.JPG

075.JPG

076.JPG

077.JPG

078.JPG

My wife's only complaint is the brisket is dry in her opinion. She wants to do brisket in the oven. As I told her, when you do that the brisket is sitting in its own fat as the fat melts. Need to come up with a solution to make her happy. Any thoughts?

My wife's only complaint is the brisket is dry in her opinion. She wants to do brisket in the oven. As I told her, when you do that the brisket is sitting in its own fat as the fat melts. Need to come up with a solution to make her happy. Any thoughts?

I've heard of people smoking brisket in an disposable aluminum pan. Obviously the smoke flavor might be a little on the lighter side but you would get the effect you are looking for.

Great looking and very ambitious cook for your first overnight cook, good job.

I have found after doing numerous overnighters that after I get the WSM settled in that I don’t have to fuss with it as much as I was doing.

Back