Nothing comes easy

Robert T.

TVWBB Super Fan
Due to other timing issues, I had to start cooking tonight for my party Monday, hopefully watching my Buckeyes beat LSU! I put 4 butts on around 10pm. Minion Method with about 13 lit coals. Flower pot instead of water. Temp stabilized around 235 and I went to bed. Woke up about 12:45 and happened to glance at my Maverick and it said 374! Went down to look and saw that my door had fallen off. Second time that has happened to me with the WSM and only during over night cooks, of course. For whatever reason, I had forgotten to set the Maverick alarm. Good thing I woke up. Butts were now around 150 degrees after 3 or so hours but I got the temp back down to around 250. Not sure how long they were burning that hot but couldn't have been too long. Then, I went back to sleep and woke up around 6am. Looked at the Maverick and saw that I had no temp readings. just ---. I went down and looked at the transmitter but it's still chugging along. Temp around 248 and meet at high 170s. Figured I probably hit plateau. Looks like I should be okay.

Bob

Robert - you are going to be ok. Looks like I'm late getting to this though. At 170 you had a good ways to go. I would guess about 3 more hrs. I would wait until you just hit 200, foil and place in a preheated cooler wrapped in towels. Let the temps drop back to 140 then shred/pull. This would have added another few hours. Meat will almost fall apart by itself. Take the juice from the foil and dump into any sauce you may have made. Keep all the bark for future chili cooks! That is if any of your buddies can keep their hands off it.

I would say you need to allow a total of 10-12 hours at least for the 200 mark at the temps you mention. Then a few more hours in the cooler. The time foiled in the cooler is time well spent!!

Tells us what happened!

Ray

Ray,

My plan was exactly what you suggested. At about 9:00 am, my Maverick said 192 but I decided to check with the Thermapen and all were just above 200. I took them off and wrapped in foil and into the cooler they went. They smell great and the tastes tests I did were awesome.

I'm going to pull today but will have to reheat for the game tomorrow night. The hardest part will be not eating it tonight!!

As for the bark, I always strip it away and put it in a separate bowl. Everyone loves it.

Thanks again for everyone's help and support. I'll put up some picks when I have them.

Buckeye Bob

Back