Not Sure Where to Put this topic.. USING WSM for Clam/Lobster bake?

Phil L.

TVWBB Member
since I'm using the WSM, I guess I'll put in the BBQ section
icon_wink.gif

I want to do a clambake / lobsterbake..

but obviously i'm not going to dig a pit in my backyard..

how would I go about it using the WSM?

should I sit the pot on the grate, or directly on top of hot coals?

how would i replenish coals?

thanks.

I have only done seafood boils on the grill, not the smoker. One unique way that I have been doing is to create the boils individually for each person. I seem to cook for a lot of people who don't want mussels, or scallops, or sausage, or whatever.

Several years ago I read an article about how to accommodate these folks: paint cans. I purchased new unused paint cans. I assemble the boils in each and then place on the grill to do their thing.

It's unusual and sparks conversation.

3419200795_3fe83c6b7d.jpg

I've thought about doing something similar, but due to my lack of proximity with an ocean, seaweed is hard to come by.

One thought I had was to use kombu. I can find it at a korean grocer and I don't think its that expensive.

love the paint can idea. any idea of how safe they are to cook with? and I trust the lids weren't on tight.

This is cool. I would think you would just need to get the temps up to a simmer, then close vents to maintain heat. Very cool idea.
Yeah J - I think kombu would work fine. I use it all the time to make ichiban dashi (Japanese broth -- a base for miso soup. A little goes a long way -- it can get bitter if you use too much or boil too long).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This is cool. I would think you would just need to get the temps up to a simmer, then close vents to maintain heat. Very cool idea.
Yeah J - I think kombu would work fine. I use it all the time to make ichiban dashi (Japanese broth -- a base for miso soup. A little goes a long way -- it can get bitter if you use too much or boil too long). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

as do I.

I was wondering how it would be worked into a clambake setup.

I thought it could be re-hydrated and layered over hot coals with shellfish, corn, 'tatoes, etc.

I suppose it could be used to infuse the broth too.

I've been to one clambake up in NE and I recalled a lot of damp burlap and seaweed being used.

Back