Not so high on Jealous Devil anymore

Never seen any foreign objects in my jealous devil.
Ever.
First time I tried a new brand in over a year, multiple pieces of concrete.
At least yours looks like charcoal at a glance.....Personally I would have no chance at changing to another brand.
I would be interested in hearing about anyone else....I think Brett has at least used as many bags as me and last I heard he's had clean bags as well.

I've burned through a couple of bags of JD. No problems with foreign material in it [yet].

The brand that I've had the worst problem with is Royal Oak. A 1/2 lb. chunk of pretty clearly clinker/liner from the kiln. I'd hate to see that end up in a mill making briquettes, there's no reason to see it in a batch of lump.

Furnace/kiln liners break down, so this is not surprising. Just throw out the chunks that don't burn. I don't see a food safety hazard. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Furnace/kiln liners break down, so this is not surprising. Just throw out the chunks that don't burn. I don't see a good safety hazard. Am I missing something?
Mack, you are not missing anything. I only asked as I have seen it more than once. Curiosity more than anything. I just toss them and move on.

I haven’t had any issues with JD but years ago I had a bag of generic briquettes that had more gravel than ashes after done wondering why the fire wasn’t hot. :oops:

Back