Non stick spray on grates

I used to use Pam, but after I got Grill Grates on my Genesis, the spray made a horrible fishy smell. Some say canola oil is fishy to them, and Pam original is made with canola, so perhaps that is the cause.

Now I use a squirt bottle with grapeseed oil. It is neutral with a high smoke point. A squirt or two of it on the flat-top side will spread rapidly, and a paper towel in tongs will wipe it all over quickly. The flat top side is fairly seasoned now, so I only add the oil if grilling fish, just in case.

On the traditional grill side of the Grill Grates, I used oil and rubbed a cut onion (per directions) when they were new, but now they are seasoned and I rarely add anything before the meat.

The difference with the grill specific sprays is that they don’t flare up, the propellant is non flammable. However in my experience they make the grates “gummy”. Food doesn’t stick, but I end up with more sticky gummy chunks even after a good high heat cook. The flammable propellants aren’t scary to use, just do short bursts and keep your head out of the inside of the grill.

Costco has an aerosol simple “canola oil” spray that I like a lot. It might be my imagination but I feel like it’s cleaner and less gummy than Pam.

I used to use Pam, but after I got Grill Grates on my Genesis, the spray made a horrible fishy smell. Some say canola oil is fishy to them, and Pam original is made with canola, so perhaps that is the cause.

Now I use a squirt bottle with grapeseed oil. It is neutral with a high smoke point. A squirt or two of it on the flat-top side will spread rapidly, and a paper towel in tongs will wipe it all over quickly. The flat top side is fairly seasoned now, so I only add the oil if grilling fish, just in case.

On the traditional grill side of the Grill Grates, I used oil and rubbed a cut onion (per directions) when they were new, but now they are seasoned and I rarely add anything before the meat.
Man I thought I was the only one, Weber grill spray has a bad initial smell as well.

Back