Non reactive brine pot?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

Hi again, perhaps David or Randy are still out there on this one. I was wondering if I could substitute an enamel corn pot for a plastic non-reactive bucket for brining my turkey? I already have the pot and the turkey fits. By non reactive does that mean that the salt and other ingredients can bring out a metalic taste if a metal pot is used?
Thanks, Steve

Yes, you have the correct understanding of non-reactive. I think an enameled corn pot should be fine.

Regards,
Chris

Do you think a normal "Kitchen Catcher" garbage bag would work? It would fit...the largest Zip Locks I have are too small. Plus the pot is one of those black enameled jobbies with the white speckles....I forget the trade name but it is enameled.
Steve

Glad makes a 4-gallon size trash bag that is food-safe. This is from their website's faq: "Can I store food for a party in GLAD Trash Bags?
The only type of our garbage and trash bags that is currently approved for food storage is the GLAD Small Garbage Bag (4 gallon capacity). This is clearly indicated on each carton."

But again, the porcelain pot is fine, so long as the porcelain on the inside isn't chipped down to the metal.

Coolers work good too. I have use trash bags to hold or marinate food what is the difference between food safe and not. I know not to use the scented ones. There's an idea preseaoned bags to marinate your meat.

Like Chris said the XL and XXL zippy bags are AWESOME... I use zippy bags for all kinds of brining, marinading, curing ect. ect.

icon_biggrin.gif

i use the crisper drawer in my fridge. after done i just pull it out and wipe down with lysol cleaner,then wash with dish soap and rinse.

I have been lurking here for a few months now and want to thank everyone for the advice posted here. The info has been invaluable since i aquired my wsm. I have been brining meat for several years now and i find that the Reynolds turkey roasting bags work well for this. They are large and are tough. Just my two cents worth.

Back