Non-Injected Turkey, Hard to Find

Scotty W.

TVWBB Super Fan
I wanted to try the apple brined turkey recipe from this site but can't find a non-injected turkey. I've looked at a local grocery store chain and Wally World and they run anywhere from 4% to 15% injected. There's a Sam's Club about 75 miles from my location. Does anyone know if they have injection free turkeys? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Scotty w.

I'd call but be careful with the wording. I'm not so sure that they are injected as much as they are in a solution similar to a brine.

They are getting tough to find. I get mine from a local butcher. You might talk to the guys behind the meat counter at your local grocery. They may be able to order one.

Do you have any turkey farms in your area? I have one in my area that sells fresh all natural or something along those lines.

Tim

For what it's worth, I have brined the injected turkeys with great success.

I found myself in a a similar boat - not being able to find a non-injected turkey - and just said "To hell with it" and went ahead and brined one. It was a test run a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving a couple of years ago. It turned out great. I was worried about the extra salt, but I've done it ever year since and the results have been the same.

That's my experience, anyway.

Greg
Everything I saw said "injected", both breasts and whole birds. I did talk to a guy behind the meat counter and he said the only place he could think of would be to buy one at an all organic store which we don't have in my area.

Timothy,

We have turkey farms in my area but they ship all their birds to processing plants.

Cullen,

I thought about exactly what you said but wanted to check here to see where others are finding their birds. I may end up buying a bird with the lowest injection % I can find.
icon_confused.gif

Originally posted by Monty House:
I'm smoking a natural brined turkey from Trader Joe's for Thanksgiving. Do you have a TJ's nearby?

Monty,
No, don't have a Trader Joe's nearby, in fact, I've never heard of that store. Welcome to rural Missouri.
icon_smile.gif

What does "natural brined" mean?

Scotty W.

The only option we might have these days is to shoot a wild one! Plenty of them in michigan.

Scotty,

I agree, try calling Sams before driving there. I'd be willing to guess they just carry the 'injected' birds.

You might try doing the apple brine with whatever you can find locally. I'd recommend going with a bird with the lowest percentage of solution or however it reads on the label; get the 4% one if you can. At 4% that may just be retained water from the water immersion poultry gets when they are initially chilled at the processing plant. Birds retain some water from that process. From the Turkey Selection & Preparation section on this site, Chris wrote:

Can I Brine A Self-Basting Turkey?

Many people have brined self-basting turkeys and have reported good results. If you want to brine a turkey, I always recommend that you buy a regular turkey that is not self-basted so you have complete control over the flavor and moisture you're added to the meat. However, if you can't find a regular turkey at your supermarket, give a self-basting turkey a try.

I too have read many posts of people having success with this combination of self-basting birds and brining.

Paul

I just phoned our TJ's and asked for a turkey that was NOT brined. Not available. They said that theirs is so good that they sell out every year. And then I said.....well, never mind.

Rita

+1 for the brined self-basting turkey working out fine.

I'd prefer a non-adulterated one but if pre-brined or self-basting is all I can get then so be it.

i just get the cheapest least brined percentage one and give it no further thought. always comes out fine. i do not brine anymore.

Thanks to all who responded.

Guess I'll just get the 4% bird, apple brine it and see how it tastes. Just hope it doesn't come out too salty.

Thanks again. This is a super site!

Scotty W.

We just did a butterball turkey and the apple brine on the home page and it turned out awesome. We followed the reciepe to the T. No salty taste at all. Just make sure you get a young bird with very little solution and you will be fine. Or if you have a local meat market ask them to order you a fresh turkey. they should be able to have it to you by tuesday.

I was looking for one at Wally's to smoke in a few weeks and they had fresh with 3%. I doubt 3% or 4% will make a big difference if you brine. They had some nice pork shoulders at a fair price that almost made me forget about turkey.

For anyone living in the South or Ohio - Earth Fare has Natural and Organic turkeys. It's a class act operation. I don't shop there often as it's difficult to not buy more than you really need. If you didn't preorder a turkey they may have some extras available.

Thanks Keith and Jeff. I will look at what Wally World has again.

Keith, was the Butter Ball you did injected?

Scotty w.

I've splurged and gotten fresh unenhanced turkeys before, but just didn't notice enough difference to justify the cost. The 8% enhanced 14 pounder I just salted was only .59lb at Publix, and I've "quick salted" many a chicken, enhanced or not, with great results.

Eureka!

Just got back from our local Price Cutter grocery with a fresh, 3% "flavor enhanced" Honey Suckle turkey. They had just received the shipment. All the frozen birds were at least 8% with some 15%. Also got all the ingredients for the Apple Brine. I'm very eager to try brining as I've never done it before. Wish me success! I will report back on the results!

Thanks again to all who posted.

Scotty W.

Back