Non-Injected Turkey, Hard to Find

I will wish you success and good eats sir!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim

Originally posted by Scotty W.:
Eureka!

Just got back from our local Price Cutter grocery with a fresh, 3% "flavor enhanced" Honey Suckle turkey. They had just received the shipment. All the frozen birds were at least 8% with some 15%. Also got all the ingredients for the Apple Brine. I'm very eager to try brining as I've never done it before. Wish me success! I will report back on the results!

Thanks again to all who posted.

Scotty W.

3% is now considered natural and nothing to worry about - the bird will be fine.

Originally posted by Scotty W.:
Eureka!

Just got back from our local Price Cutter grocery with a fresh, 3% "flavor enhanced" Honey Suckle turkey. They had just received the shipment. All the frozen birds were at least 8% with some 15%. Also got all the ingredients for the Apple Brine. I'm very eager to try brining as I've never done it before. Wish me success! I will report back on the results!

Thanks again to all who posted.

Scotty W.

You're going to love it, without a doubt.

Originally posted by Rita Y:
I just phoned our TJ's and asked for a turkey that was NOT brined. Not available. They said that theirs is so good that they sell out every year. And then I said.....well, never mind.

Rita

Rita, why no brined bird?

Monty,.....TJ's or me? Me, I just prefer to brine my own. If they brine it for me, I don't feel that I'm doing that big bird by my own independent self.

Rita

Originally posted by Dave Russell:
I've splurged and gotten fresh unenhanced turkeys before, but just didn't notice enough difference to justify the cost. The 8% enhanced 14 pounder I just salted was only .59lb at Publix.

Don't want to be a party-pooper, but after last night I have second thoughts on the above, and maybe it's just another case of getting what you pay for. I'll be avoiding the 8% enhanced birds from now on, no matter how cheap. Maybe will try the ones that only have 3 or 4%, or even a butterball? Go back to injecting?

The Publix bird I salted overnight, BUTTERflied and pecan smoked low-n-slow on the wsm turned out plenty moist, but just didn't have the flavor that my 48hr. salted natural bird did last year. I thought that the pepper mixture would work well in all the butter I worked under the skin, but the taste was pretty mediocre.

Back