Nomex Tape Seal...

This was a real helpfull idea. I have several cooks with this installed on just the bottom joint and it is holding up well and I am able to extinguish the coals.
FYI, I was able to get a good price for this nomex tape on eBay. Search nomex gasket.

Originally posted by Ashley Ruthstrom:
When I search for the tape I get many types. What brand of tape did you guys get? I just want to make sure I get the right one.

The OP said "I got the nomex gasket tape from Amazon. It's plenty to do the whole job. I cut the tape in half lengthwise, which makes it about 3/8 wide. It's very sticky, so practice before u actually stick it down. I wouldn't use it on the door. I tried it and it was too thick for the door to close properly. How I sealed the door is another post. Hope this helps."

Found this on Amazon. Think but can't guarantee it's what he used.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obi...1TE/thevirtualweberb

Scotty W.

I recently used Nomex tape to seal my 22.5” WSM. Justin at BBQGaksets (same as listed above by Stephan) was very helpful to me through the entire process. He usually sells gaskets for the Big Green Egg and Kamado smokers and didn’t have a WSM on hand so he used me as a guinea pig to come up with the best solution for the WSM. We ended up using the high temp Nomex blue tape (split lengthwise) for the top and bottom of the center section and 1” tape for the door. However, the door needed gasket cement rather than the adhesive backed tape otherwise the tape would slip around when the smoker got hot. Because of the added thickness from the tape I had to bend the latch on the door for it to close easily. This was a very easy fix in a vice. The WSM works so much better than it ever did especially in windy conditions. It can maintain stable temps for hours.

I just got my gaskets from bbqgaskets today. I bought the WSM kit for $25. Plan to work on it after my broken finger heals a bit.

I definitely need to do this mod....my WSM stays hot way too long after I have closed all vents.

With the kit from BBQGaskets, is applying the adhesive a super messy adventure? Can you get it off the porcelin coating of the WSM after it has set? Just thinking about clean-up and what happens when the gasket eventually wears out.

Anything else I should know?

Thanks so much!

I bought a roll of heat shield tape from Jeg's wrapped it around the door and the lid works great. A 20'x 1.5" $14.99 not abad deal.

Originally posted by Gary Hodgin:
I just got my gaskets from bbqgaskets today. I bought the WSM kit for $25. Plan to work on it after my broken finger heals a bit.

Gary, how did this kit work out? Was it easy to install? Does the center piece still fit with the bottom and lid well? Does it seem like it will last?

I'm interested too as I just ordered the gasket from ebay. My charcoal bowl is out of round and although I have corrected some of the shape I'm sure there is more air getting by than necessary.

Originally posted by Andy P:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Hodgin:

Gary, how did this kit work out? Was it easy to install? Does the center piece still fit with the bottom and lid well? Does it seem like it will last? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Andy,
I still haven't gotten around to installing the nomex. I did start cleaning the rim but didn't finish the job. I broke (crushed) a finger awhile back and it's difficult for me to do anything with my left hand. Hopefully, I'll get to it within a few weeks. I want to really take my time cause there doesn't appear to be much margin for error. I'll give an update when I finish but it's going to be awhile.
Gary

How has it changed your cooks if at all? Sounds like the tape helps with sealing for stopping the cook when done, how has it helped with cooking?

Temp holds better, hotter now?

I noticed that the coals go out faster. I also found it easier to hold the lower temps...just more controllable. Also, you can't dismiss the added confidence you get knowing that your pit is sealed and under your control.

I've had my wsm for a little over a year, used it quite a bit, and usually had trouble holding the temperature down in the 215-225F range. I did this mod over the Memorial Day weekend to try to make it easier to hold low temperatures without partially closing the top vent (which I've read is a bad idea).

The mod was fairly easy and seems to have worked. Before the mod, to stay in the 215-225 F range, I usually had to close all of the bottom vents and set the top vent to about 50% or more closed. After the mod, I was able to leave the top vent completely open and had to leave one of the bottom vents partially open to stay in the 215-225F range.

Turning to the mod itself, I didn't use acetone. It sounded like this originated from the need to remove glue & gunk left by the original gasket on the Big Green Egg mod/gasket replacement. The areas cleaned up well with a good scrubbing with dish detergent, a sponge with the green scrub backing, and paper towels. I used nitrile gloves, the fine-tooth end of a comb to spread the adhesive, and a slightly dampened sponge and plenty of paper towels to wipe away excess adhesive. I applied adhesive to 5 or 6 inch segments at a time, spread it with the comb, set the tape, wiped away excess, and repeated. Between wiping away excess adhesive from the middle section and from the comb, I went through quite a few paper towels.

After it was done, I let it set for an hour or two, then heat cured it by assembling the smoker, slowly running the temperature up to 400F, and holding it there for a couple of hours. After that, I played with the vents into the evening to see how it would do holding low temperatures. Getting the temp down from 400F to 200F was much easier than I expected, and once there, it was easy to hold it there without touching the top vent.

I would not recommend this as a mod to do when you first get your wsm, but it is a worthwhile mod if your wsm still runs hot after giving it a chance to season.

Originally posted by Mark R (LR):
I've had my wsm for a little over a year, used it quite a bit, and usually had trouble holding the temperature down in the 215-225F range. I did this mod over the Memorial Day weekend to try to make it easier to hold low temperatures without partially closing the top vent (which I've read is a bad idea).

The mod was fairly easy and seems to have worked. Before the mod, to stay in the 215-225 F range, I usually had to close all of the bottom vents and set the top vent to about 50% or more closed. After the mod, I was able to leave the top vent completely open and had to leave one of the bottom vents partially open to stay in the 215-225F range.

Turning to the mod itself, I didn't use acetone. It sounded like this originated from the need to remove glue & gunk left by the original gasket on the Big Green Egg mod/gasket replacement. The areas cleaned up well with a good scrubbing with dish detergent, a sponge with the green scrub backing, and paper towels. I used nitrile gloves, the fine-tooth end of a comb to spread the adhesive, and a slightly dampened sponge and plenty of paper towels to wipe away excess adhesive. I applied adhesive to 5 or 6 inch segments at a time, spread it with the comb, set the tape, wiped away excess, and repeated. Between wiping away excess adhesive from the middle section and from the comb, I went through quite a few paper towels.

After it was done, I let it set for an hour or two, then heat cured it by assembling the smoker, slowly running the temperature up to 400F, and holding it there for a couple of hours. After that, I played with the vents into the evening to see how it would do holding low temperatures. Getting the temp down from 400F to 200F was much easier than I expected, and once there, it was easy to hold it there without touching the top vent.

I would not recommend this as a mod to do when you first get your wsm, but it is a worthwhile mod if your wsm still runs hot after giving it a chance to season.

You had to spread adhesive? The tape comes with adhesive already applied to the tape...why did you have to apply adhesive?

I ordered the kit from eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gasket...&hash=item27c295e513

Here is their retail site: http://www.bbqgaskets.com/contact_3.html

I thought it might include some Nomex with adhesive backing for the upper and lower gaskets and some Nomex without adhesive for the door, but none of it had adhesive backing. Instead, they included Rutland 77 adhesive in the kit. As I understand it, the self-adhesive backing is rated to 800F, and the Rutland 77 adhesive is rated to 2000F. Using the 2000F adhesive was a bit more involved, but I didn't mind and think it is probably a better option in the long run.

Back