Nomex Tape Seal...

Mark,
I haven't install my gasket yet but mine came with the adhesive also. I got the Weber 18.5" kit from bbqgaskets.com

Gary, I think we got the same kit from the same company. It's too soon to say whether it will hold up over time, but it worked really well for my first smoke and looks like it should hold up well. If you've struggled to hold low temperatures like I have, I think you'll be pleased with the kit.

I have installed my gasket kit. I did the middle section at the base and it took all of the play out when mounted in the bowl. I installed it on the door and on the surface of the middle section for the dome. There was no leakage and total control. The difference was amazing. I would highly recommend it. This should have been a factory install all things considered.

Gary

I just completed the Nomex tape modification to my WSM and the difference is amazing. I did the bottom of the mid section with the 1" material but pulled it out a little then let it rest. I wanted more width than the 1/2" but a little thinner so as not to bind in the bowl.

I dampened it as instructed and used the adhesive as instructed. I used the 1/2" for the door and the upper rim where the lid comes into contact. I now have absolute control of the smoker. I do suspect over time the lower section will wear thin but anything there is better than than the air infiltration I had before.

I am doing this to my 2nd WSM. It's not uncomon for the bowls to be out of round by as much as a 1/2" and the material really helps to tighten up the base and mid section.

It's a great modification and the fellow I dealt with on ebay was
icon_smile.gif
very helpful.

I installed the tape and work great for a few smokes, until I lifted the lid during the last smoke and the nomex stuck to the life and the adhesive stayed. So......I guess ill clean again and try it one more time.

You have to watch the instructions. The adhesive I got with mine required it be heated an hour after it was installed to temps of 400Degress. My smoker would not go that high so I used an acetylene torch and fired it by passing it over all of the gasket material. It's been fine, no problems.

D Arita or Terry Mo- Any pictures of installed product?

Does the linked kit have enough tape for everything, including the door?

Originally posted by James Smith:
D Arita or Terry Mo- Any pictures of installed product?

Does the linked kit have enough tape for everything, including the door?
Look up front of this thread. I believe there are pics, albeit not the greatest. Test fit exactly where the tape should go before taking off the backing. Put it in the wrong place and your center section won't fit in the bottom.

I saw one picture, I was hoping for a couple more and maybe one of the door. I use a Stoker and it doesnt keep as stable of a temp as it should. I believe it is due to the air leaks.

I did something very different for the door. I rolled up a very thin length of foil and glued it around the door. I then closed the door very deliberately, as I press fit the foil until the door latched. I tried using the nomex, but I felt it was just too thick. The foil made a nice, tight seal. I never open the door, so it stayed nice and tight. There may be a pic of it in a later reply.

I just completed the gasket mod today. It seems that the mid section doesn't fit into the bowl as well as it did. Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience.

Originally posted by Alex E:
I just completed the gasket mod today. It seems that the mid section doesn't fit into the bowl as well as it did. Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience.
That's why I advised to test fit before sticking it down. The nomex has to sit in just the right place to seal, but not prevent the fit. There is a happy medium.

My 18.5 WSM provided NO SPACE at all for a gasket between the bottom of the center section and the base. The fit is simply too tight for 1/8th inch thick nomex. My particular smoker is a newer model, I guess...and it doesn't easily lend itself to sealing up in that area. The fit between the body and the dome is something else entirely. That sealed up nicely.

I guess I'll pull off the nomex I so carefully attached to the bottom of the barrel with Red Hi-Temp RTV. I knew it was going to be close, because I did a test fit, and I ALMOST passed on that section entirely. A 1/16th inch nomex or wool felt gasket might fit, but I doubt it. And wool only takes maybe 450 degrees. The close proximity to the firepan is going to make that gasket exceed 450 from time to time.

Alas.....

Last edited:
So once the nomex is fitted and installed, is it even harder to remove the bottom and mid section off? My 18.5 is pretty tight with out the nomex, I was thinking of getting it for the door, also was wondering if the Cajun Bandit door offers a better seal? Or should I do both? When I'm using the smoker, smoke does escape through the door.. any help is appreciated

Back