No Pulled Pork - What to do?

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
I offered to bring Keri's beans to the tail gate on Sunday. I thought I had one bag of frozen pulled pork left, but an exhaustive search of both freezers came up empty. The tailgate is Sunday morning and I really don't have the 16 hours I usually spend on butts (especially since I would have to buy it in the morning).

So what do I do

*I could use another meat (sausage)
*I could get some store bought pulled pork (Gordon Foods)
*I could get a pork roast and cook it like I do a chuck roast (about 9 hours)
*I could get a butt and do a fast cook.
*I could just bring more beer.
*Other options?

Advice would be appreciated.

Try browning a couple lbs of Maple breakfast sausage, or another flavor sausage if you prefer. That's what I like to use in my beans and it's pretty darn good.

the last two pots i made i smoked a maple sausage rubbed with wolfe rub indirect on the kettle and put that in the beans. the maple sausage with the cinnamon in the Wolfe rub go great with the hog apple beans. oh, i also used the wolfe rub in the beans.

Maple sausage it is. Sorry to my friends, but I just don't have a lot of time this Saturday. Thanks for the input.

I'm gonna have to try one of those high heat butts some day. 6 hours sounds great versus the 16 or so that I normally take to do a butt.

Thanks!

Well I went to the store and while looking for the sausage came across some pulled pork. It came in a one pound tub and already has bbq sauce on it. I didn't want to buy PP from gordons because it comes in a big tub. I think about 4 pounds. I didn't want that much if I didn't like it. Seeing the one pound tub made me willing to give it a try. It's made by Smithfield (not sure if the same as the ham). Here's a link.

I'll let you know how it tastes in the morning.

I found myself out of pulled pork once while making Keri's BBQ Baked beans and used buckboard bacon ends which really complimented her bean dish.

I grew up eating baked beans with bacon in it and I just never could get used to the texture of the bacon. Soggy, sort of an uncooked feeling. Just not for me.

The pulled pork wasn't terrible, but it certainly didn't add anything to the dish and anyone with a WSM can do better. But you need something I didn't have - time. Anyway, once again, Keri's beans got stares for having apples in it but everyone loved it.

Food Network's "Unwrapped" did a segment on Curly's Pulled Pork that you bought.

I once had another and did not like sauce. Much too saucy. I might give Curly's a try but I have been vacuum sealing now so I usually have some left over.

But it is not hard to run out and think you have one bag left!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyway, once again, Keri's beans got stares for having apples in it but everyone loved it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I mash mine with a tater masher, no one knows they are in their until I tell them.

I hardly ever have any left over pulled pork and just throw in browned Jimmy Dean original suagsage. My only complaint is that the beans often times overshadow the Pulled pork.

i'm putting PP AND a smoked JD maple sausage in my hog-apple beans for thanksgiving
icon_smile.gif

Back