No luck with the lid temperature gauge

Jan M.

TVWBB Fan
Hi to all,

it seems that I am out of luck with the WSM lid temperature gauge.

Within my first smoke the temperature gauge steamed up, so extremely that you were not able to read something on it.

The second one died last smoke. It rained nearly all the day and while the WSM was cooling down the raindrops killed my lid_t-g.

Here ist the result:

klein__1_brokenTemp.JPG

Does anyone have similar experience?

Hi,
yes Weber will replace it.
I like to have everything working :)
But for exact measurement I use my Maverick.
But now it will be the 3rd lid temp gauge.

Well, I do not know what I am doing wrong, but there is often a big difference between the lid thermometer and my Guru placed on the bottom of the loaded top grate. The lid generally is cooler, by a long shot, unless I operate empty. I generally trust the Guru.

George,

Heat is generated at the base of the WSM and the heated air travels towards the top vent. Along the way, some of that heat from the heated air is absorbed by what's on the grill. Now that heated air has less heat and is what you are seeing on the dome temperature gauge. As the meat on the grill heats up (less temperature differential between the heated air and what's on the grill), the dome temperature gauge will be seeing an air temperature closer to the air temperature at the grill.

Last edited:
Tel Tru manufactures very very excellent lid thermometers and mine glows in the dark. Affectionately I've named my WSM Cyclopes. For she guides me in the night! :wsm:

I've never seen a thermometer crack like that. Must have suffered quite the temperature shock. But Weber will definitely replace that. But like others have said the temp on the dome thermometer is usually far off from the grate temperature. Invest in a pit probe and ignore the dome guage. Good Luck and enjoy!

Hi All,

to finish this thread probably I will give a final update.

In the meantime I received 3 further lid thermometers but all were steaming up.
I fixed the issue now by using a heat-proof (300°C/572°F) silicone to proof the holes in the lid where the heat sensor is plugged through.
Now everything is fine.

To the cracked one ... My dealer said there have been more cracked lid thermometers than mine. Maybe it is a production problem.

So that's it!

Keep it low and slow.
Regards,
Jan

Last edited:
Hi All,

to finish this thread probably I will give a final update.

In the meantime I received 3 further lid thermometers but all were steaming up.
I fixed the issue now by using a heat-proof (300°C/572°F) silicone to proof the holes in the lid where the heat sensor is plugged through.
Now everything is fine.

To the cracked one ... My dealer said there have been more cracked lid thermometers than mine. Maybe it is a production problem.

So that's it!

Keep it low and slow.
Regards,
Jan

Spend about $40-60 and get yourself a real, durable thermometer to mount in the lie, a Tel-Tru. Here:

http://www.teltru.com/s-140-pit-smoker-and-cooker.aspx

Back